Dunlin Images, Facts and Information:
- Dunlins are medium sized sandpipers with short necks, long drooping bills and black legs.
- In breeding plumage they have a black belly and red back and in nonbreeding plumage they are a dull brownish gray with a creamy white belly.
- Their diet includes insects, small crustaceans, marine worms and small fish.
- Dunlins breed in the Arctic and sub-Arctic tundra from Alaska to the Hudson Bay. They spend the winter along the coasts from southern Alaska southward into Mexico.
- Dunlins lay 4 eggs which take 20 to 23 days to hatch, both sexes incubate.
- Nicknames for Dunlins include Red-backed Sandpiper and Old Red Back.
- Dunlins can live up to 24 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Dunlin photos.