Forster’s Tern Images, Facts and Information:
- Forster’s Terns are medium sized terns with white underparts and pale gray upperparts, short red legs, thin, orange bills with black tips and a black cap in breeding plumage. They have long, forked tails. In nonbreeding plumage they have a black comma shaped ear patch.
- Forster’s Terns are migratory although it is the only tern found in North America throughout the year.
- During the breeding season their preferred habit includes marshes with lots of open water and islands with vegetation.
- Forster’s Terns eat fish and small arthropods.
- Forster’s Terns lay 1 to 6 eggs which hatch in 23 to 25 days. Both sexes incubate and they are monogamous.
- A group of terns can be called a “ternery” of terns.
- Forster’s Terns can live up to 16 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Forster’s Tern photos.