Green Heron Images, Facts and Information:
- Green Herons are short, stocky herons with short legs, deep green backs, chestnut to maroon colored breasts and necks with long, sharp bills.
- Green Herons are year round residents in some parts of their range and medium distance migrants in other parts.
- Green Herons can be found inland and in coastal areas in marshes, swamps, lakes, ponds, sloughs and other wet habitats.
- Green Herons eat fish, insects, spiders, snails, amphibians, crustaceans, reptiles and small rodents.
- Green Herons lay 2 to 7 eggs which hatch in 19 to 21 days. Both sexes incubate and they are monogamous.
- Green Herons have also been called Green-backed Herons.
- A group of herons can be called a “rookery”, “scattering”, “battery” and “hedge” of herons.
- Green Herons can live to over 7 years of age.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Green Heron photos.