House Finch Images, Facts and Information:
- House Finches have sturdy, slightly decurved bills, brown streaked backs and wings, light colored breasts also with brown streaks, males have a red wash to their heads, chest and rumps. The red wash in males can vary from pale pink to bright red, orange and even yellow.
- House finches are year round residents though some do migrate shirt distances. They used to be only found in western North America but were introduced into the east in the 1940’s.
- House Finches can be found in cities, parks and residential areas, in western North America they can also be found in deserts, chaparrals, grasslands, mountains, forest edges, and canyons.
- House Finches eat seeds, fruits, flower buds, flowers, and leaves. They will also sip nectar from hummingbird feeders.
- House Finches lay 2 to 6 eggs which hatch in 12 to 14 days. The female incubates and they are monogamous.
- A group of House Finches can be called a “development” of finches
- House Finches can live up to 12 years of age.
I hope you enjoy viewing my House Finch photos.