Mountain Plover Images, Facts and Information:
- Mountain Plovers are medium sized shorebirds with long legs, relatively short necks and bills, brownish gray plumage, white faces and undersides.
- Despite their name Mountain Plovers are rarely found near water or in mountains. Their habitat includes open, dry areas of short-grass prairies and agricultural fields.
- They are migratory.
- Mountain Plovers will follow livestock around in pastures because of the insects the animals stir up.
- The diet of Mountain Plovers includes flies, beetles, grasshoppers, crickets, insect larvae and other insects.
- Mountain Plovers lay 2 to 4 eggs which take 28 to 31 days to hatch. Both sexes incubate.
- A group of plovers is called a “ponderance”, “deceit”, “congregation”, “brace” or a “wing” of plovers.
- Mountain Plovers live up to 10 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Mountain Plover photos.