Red-breasted Merganser Images, Facts and Information:
- Red-breasted Mergansers are large diving ducks with long, thin orange-red serrated bills, shaggy crests, orange feet and legs and red eyes. The males have greenish black heads in breeding plumage.
- Red-breasted Mergansers are migratory.
- Red-breasted Mergansers prefer habitat with ponds on the tundra from Alaska and northern Canada to Newfoundland and the Great Lakes in Michigan, they are also found on wooded lakes and during the winter they prefer saltwater.
- The diet of Red-breasted Mergansers includes fish, crustaceans, insects, worms and amphibians.
- Red-breasted Mergansers lay 5 to 16 eggs which hatch in 29 to 35 days. The female incubates and they are monogamous.
- Red-breasted Merganser nicknames include “Shell Duck” and “Saw bill”.
- A group of ducks can be called a “raft”, “paddling”, “flush” or “brace” of ducks.
- Red-breasted Mergansers can live at least 9 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Red-breasted Merganser photos.