Red-breasted Nuthatch Images, Facts and Information:
- Red-breasted Nuthatches are compact, blue-gray birds with short tails, sharp bills, black caps with white eye stripes. The females chest is a duller red than the males.
- Red-breasted Nuthatches are one of the smallest song birds.
- Red-breasted Nuthatches prefer habitats with coniferous woods and mountains that contain pines, spruce, fir, hemlocks, aspens, poplars, oaks, hickorys, maples, birches and other deciduous trees.
- Red-breasted Nuthatches eat insects, seeds, nuts and spiders.
- Nuthatches are secondary cavity nesters. They lay 4 to 7 eggs which hatch in 12 days. The female incubates.
- Most Red-breasted Nuthatches are not migratory but some do migrate.
- A group of nuthatches is called a “jar” of nuthatches.
- Red-breasted Nuthatches live up to 7 years.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Red-breasted Nuthatch photos.