Red Fox Images, Facts and Information:
- Red Foxes are generally rusty red above with dark legs, whitish underparts with long bushy tails. They are also found in other colors including black, silver, cross and also white.
- Red Foxes are found throughout most of the U.S. and Canada. They are found in varied habitats including brushlands, grasslands, wooded areas and in urban areas as well.
- European Foxes were introduced in the 1800’s for the purpose of hunting them and some people believe because of the introductions that Red Foxes aren’t native. That is incorrect, Red Fox fossils dating back 400,000 years have been found in North America and genetic research studies have shown an absence of European fox haplotypes in any North American population.
- Red Foxes have varied diets and will eat fruits, acorns, corn, grasses, birds, small mammals, invertebrates including grasshoppers, caterpillars and even crayfish.
- Red Foxes are primarily shy and nocturnal animals but they can be seen at dawn and dusk.
- Red Foxes have between 4 to 6 kits in the early spring.
- In captivity Red Foxes can live to be 15 years old, in the wild they live to be about 5 years old.
I hope you enjoy viewing my Red Fox photos.