Spotted Towhee Images, Facts and Information:
- Spotted Towhees are large sparrows with chunky bodies, long tails and thick pointed bills. Males have black backs, necks, breasts, heads, their black wings have white spots, sides are rufous, bellies are white and they have red eyes. Females are duller and instead of black they are brown-gray.
- Spotted Towhees are year round residents in many areas and short distance migrants in others. They can be found in southwestern areas of Canada, Mexico and the Western U.S.
- The habitat preferred by Spotted Towhees include forest edges, thickets, shrubs, bushes, overgrown fields, and gardens.
- Spotted Towhees eat seeds, insects, spiders, fruits and they will take small lizards and snakes.
- Spotted Towhees lay 2 to 6 eggs which hatch in 12 to 14 days. The females incubate and they are monogamous.
- A group of towhees can be called a “tangle” or “teapot” of towhees.
- Spotted Towhees can live to be at least 11 years of age.
I hope you enjoy my Spotted Towhees photos.