Great Horned Owl Images, Facts and Information:
- Great Horned Owls are large owls that have have ear tufts. Their plumage is variable by geographical location ranging from pale to sooty.
- Great Horned Owls can be found in North, Central and South America.
- Great Horned Owls are nocturnal but they will hunt during the day. Their diet is the the most varied of all North American raptors. Their prey includes small mammals, insects, fish, birds, larger mammals such as jackrabbits, squirrels, woodchucks, marmots, porcupines and skunks. They will also take ducks, coots, wading birds, hawks, grebes, reptiles and house cats and more.
- Nicknames for Great Horned Owls include tiger owl, tiger of the sky, winged tiger, and Hoot owl.
- Great Horned Owl habitat includes open areas such as meadows, fields, wetlands, deserts, grasslands, mixed forests, wooded parks, urban areas and cities.
- The do not build their own nests but will take over the nests of other raptors, ravens and crows. They will nest readily in man made boxes, barns and granaries.
- They lay 1 to 5 eggs and hatch in 28 to 35 days, the female incubates. They are monogamous.
- Great Horned Owls are not migratory.
- Great Horned Owls can live up to 28 years
I hope you enjoy viewing my Great Horned Owl photos.