Short-eared Owl Images, Facts and Information:
- Short-eared Owls are medium sized, mottled brown owls that have ear tufts that are not always visible.
- Short-eared Owls are found in North and South America, Europe, Asia, Hawaii, the Caribbean and the Galápagos Islands.
- Short-eared Owls will hunt day and night and nest in scrapes lined with grass the ground.
- Nicknames for Short-eared Owls include evening owl, marsh bog owl, grass owl, meadow owl, mouse-hawk and flat-faced owl.
- Preferred habitats for Short-eared Owls in North America include tundra, grasslands, prairies, mountain meadows, salt marshes, freshwater marshes, estuaries and agricultural fields.
- Their diet is small mammals and they occasionally take small birds.
- Short-eared Owls lay 1 to 11 eggs which take 25 to 29 days to hatch. The female incubates.
- In most of their range they are migratory.
- Populations of Short-eared Owls are on the decline. The 2014 State of the Birds Report listed them as a Common Bird in Steep Decline and in Utah they are listed as a Wildlife Species of Concern.
- Short-eared Owls can live 13 years
I hope you enjoy viewing my Short-eared Owl photos.