I Stand For Science

////I Stand For Science

Skull on a fenceSkull on a fence

Today tens of thousands of people are Marching for Science on Earth Day around the globe. The scientists who are marching are from many different fields and non-scientists have joined them to tell how science has made their lives better or even saved their lives.

From Brisbane Australia, Europe, Asia to Washington D.C, in 44 countries and 600 other locations all over the world people are marching for science today.

Why?

They are marching for clean air. They are marching to protect this planet from numerous threats, from pesticides that are poisoning our children to climate change.

They are marching for medical research because they can save lives. If you have taken something as simple as aspirin or had something as complex as chemotherapy you have benefited from science. Broken leg and an x-ray? That is thanks to science too. Blood transfusion? Again, thanks to science.

They are marching because our lives depend on it. They are marching to defend the vital role science plays in our health, safety, economies and governments.

Because of science we have cell phones, televisions, safe, abundant foods to eat, space exploration, oceanic exploration, electricity, heating, air conditioning, cancer treatments, medicines, drinkable water, beer, coffee, wine, chocolate, paper, tools, plumbing, microwaves, trains, planes, drones, cameras, CT scanners, asphalt, insulin, heart pumps, computers, gun powder and so, so much more.

Literally every day our lives are touched and made better because of science, the scientists, their research and the hard work they do.

Why did I pick an animal skull hung on a fence with dry grasses in the background for my featured photo today? Because it represents what is already happening in some parts of the world due to climate change and drought. The photo isn’t pretty, it isn’t meant to be.

I stand for Science, Science is real. I would not be here without it.

2017-04-22T05:30:15+00:00April 22nd, 2017|Categories: Box Elder County, Utah|Tags: , , , , , |21 Comments

1. Jane Chesebrough April 24, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Your point is well-taken. I agree.

2. Laura A cox April 24, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Laura Culley April 23, 2017 at 12:07 pm – Reply

HURRAY!!! I stand for science,

3. Beth Jochum April 24, 2017 at 8:11 am

Thank you Mia for being the voice and eye for so many — and for not just showing us the beautiful photos.
    And again we unite for the environment at the upcoming Climate March on 4/29. If nothing, this administration has brought great hearts and minds together to show we will not stand idly by.
    Standing in solidarity with you and all lovers and guardians of Nature and Science!

4. Laura Culley April 23, 2017 at 12:07 pm

HURRAY!!! I stand for science, too. Personally, I just cannot understand the opposing view. Science is fascinating, compelling and well, just plain useful in every aspect of our lives. All of us should ALWAYS be asking questions, testing what we know for its validity and truth and changing the way we think and act as a result. That’s exactly what science does. Can I hear a DUH!!??

5. Jim Miller April 22, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Thank you, Mia.

6. Anita Cothern Austin April 22, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Your position is so important and hopefully you can influence many people who don’t understand. Science and research allowed my Doctors to devise a way to remove tumors from my head. They literally removed my face and put me back together without leaving visible scars. A few decades earlier I would have died. When you have doubts, remember my experience. In support for all the people who are marching today. Earth Day, 2017.

7. Patty Chadwick April 22, 2017 at 5:09 pm

I have diabetes, have had a heart attack, had a stent implanted, have neen treated for kidney stones, high blood ptessure and cancer…am still kicking. Thank you science!

8. Elephants Child April 22, 2017 at 2:47 pm

I so hope that all those who are standing, marching, applauding Science triumph. We are doomed otherwise. And the world is doomed with us. And because of us.

9. richard burnett April 22, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Our new “administration” has betrayed wildlife enthusiasts, farming, cities and towns across the country by reversing
    cornerstone wildland and river protections, including the Clean Water Act and conservation programs. Rivers we all depend on for clean water, jobs, food and recreation are under attack from FOCUSED rollbacks and budget cuts.

• Patty Chadwick April 22, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Amen!!!

10. M. Bruce April 22, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Well put, and so very important!

11. Kathy Hunt April 22, 2017 at 12:01 pm

This is the best piece I have read today on standing for science! Thank you

12. Mary McAvoy April 22, 2017 at 11:48 am

Nicely said. Thanks, Mia.

13. Utahbooklover April 22, 2017 at 8:50 am

Thanks for standing with the body of science, the scientist, the friends of science, and the teachers of science (which include my wife and her sister, who are taking part this morning in the march downtown). Those who are anti-science are just showing their ignorance; for example, our president and his cabinet. A new program presents Bill Nye “Saves the World” brings us an updated, unapologetically political science guy.

14. Bob mcpherson April 22, 2017 at 8:18 am

Science. The great equalizer

15. Jorge H. Oliveira April 22, 2017 at 7:52 am

I am with you Patty…

Thank you Mia for this great post. You are a wonderful example for all of us.
    Please keep on doing your excellent work.

16. Sallie Reynolds April 22, 2017 at 7:23 am

I’ve learned a lot from the bones I’ve found in the wild. And used some to teach kids about the way we are all put together, kin under the skin. This skull looks like a big old sheep.

17. Glen Fox April 22, 2017 at 6:46 am

I stand in SOLIDARITY with you and all who are marching. Thank you Mia!

18. Dick Harlow April 22, 2017 at 6:19 am