Whoa, that is a lot of Wilson’s Phalaropes!

Home/Antelope Island State Park, Brine Flies, Utah, Wilson's Phalaropes/Whoa, that is a lot of Wilson’s Phalaropes!

Before leaving for Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge in Montana last week I saw very few Wilson’s Phalaropes (Phalaropus tricolor) while on the causeway going to Antelope Island State Park in northern Utah, what a difference a week can make! You just never know what you will see unless you go out into the field.

Wilson's Phalaropes MurmurationWilson’s Phalaropes Murmuration – Nikon D200, f7.1, 1/1250, ISO 5600, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 200mm, natural light

Today there were hundreds of thousands of Wilson’s Phalaropes  near the shoreline of the causeway, whirling around in the water and along the marshy areas not far from the park entrance. There are still some heavy, hauler trucks going back and forth on the causeway from the re-paving that has been done and those trucks cause the bird to lift off in a huge mass and their behavior is much like the murmurations of Red-winged Blackbirds and European Starlings.  The mass of birds creates a wave-like movement and with these phalaropes their light bellies cause a flash of white when they turn in flight.

Wilson's Phalaropes mass lift off

Wilson’s Phalaropes mass lift off – Nikon D200, f7.1, 1/1250, ISO 500, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

I backed my 200-400mm with the 1.4x TC all the way to 200mm and the birds still completely filled this frame, there are a few American Avocets in the water but the birds in flight all appeared to be Wilson’s Phalaropes. Their diet in the hyper saline Great Salt Lake consists of brine flies and brine shrimp, the brine flies are currently present in the millions so I am certain these phalaropes are well fed. I also observed the phalaropes catching brine flies from the air, something I had not witnessed before.

1. Mathew July 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Impressive images. This may be a ritual for phalaropes and correspond with the start of summer. Phalaropes are unique in how they usually swim in circles when feeding, and, of course, the distinctions between the more colorful females and males, as well as the remarkable juvenile plumage and non-breeding winter plumage.

• Mia McPherson July 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Mathew, I wish I could capture that spinning movement of phalaropes in a still image, it shows up best in video I believe. I think it is unique that the females are larger and more colorful than the males. They are a wonderful shorebird to photograph. Thanks!

2. Nicholas Martens June 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I’ll take your titles more seriously in the future 🙂 Not that anything could really have prepared me for THAT many Wilson’s Phalaropes… my jaw literally dropped. Wonderful to know that such scenes still exist

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Nicolas, there were so many birds beyond my frames, I’d say a million or maybe more. Thanks for visiting my blog!

3. William Kleinfelder June 24, 2012 at 6:48 am

Mia, Just sent your link to my friend, that I’m going to Red Rock with, and I get a message back that you know him. It was Ron B, small world isn’t it.

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm

William, it is a small world indeed! Ron and I gave tons of info to Ron B about Red Rock Lakes NWR and saw him out there last summer when he and his family visited the refuge. It is an amazing, beautiful and enchanting location.

Thanks for visiting and for your comments.

4. William Kleinfelder June 24, 2012 at 6:42 am

Looking through some of your great shots has me very excited about my trip to Red Rock Lakes next week. Thanks for sharing.

5. Azstu June 23, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I counted 47, though I did round down ;). Amazing how they can find room to fly.

6. Beverly Everson June 23, 2012 at 4:25 pm

WOW!!! Amazing sight and amazing images!!!

7. Julie Brown June 23, 2012 at 9:34 am

What an awesome sight, Mia! Filling the frame with the birds gives so much drama.

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Julie, there sure is a lot of drama when there are so many birds in a flock lifting off and flying around. I can close my eyes even now and see it all! Thanks for your comment.

8. Dan Huber June 23, 2012 at 4:29 am

Absolutely stunning how many birds. wow.

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thank you Dan, it just takes my breath away to see so many all at once!

9. Larry Jordan June 22, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Amazing images Mia! To see these shorebirds in the thousands, traveling en masse, changing color from dark to light in a flash is joyous to watch. I would have loved to see this flock in person! I filmed a flock of Dunlins like this at Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge that you can see here. When they turn, the combination of their white bellies and wing flapping appears like fireworks sparklers in the sky.

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Wow Larry, your video of the Dunlins is wonderful! I hope one day you can see this many Phalaropes in flight, that “flash” is so delightful, better than fireworks any day in my opinion! Thank you for commenting!

10. Susan June 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Wow, what a massive number of birds. I’ve never seen this species myself, but I would love to have seen this. Awesome!

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Susan, I hope you get to see these birds and in these numbers. It is mind blowing! Thanks for your comment.

11. Seagullsteve June 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Wow. Staggering.

• Mia McPherson June 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Yeah, staggering is a great description Steve. Mind-blowing is another!

12. Kathleen Finnerty June 22, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Amazing sight Mia. I’d love to see some of your country out there some time.

• Mia McPherson June 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Kathy, This area of the country has a wealth of wonderful birds, critters and great scenery! Thanks for commenting on these images.

13. Linda Rockwell June 22, 2012 at 3:48 pm

That’s totally amazing! The only birds I’ve ever seen in such numbers are snow geese at Bosque del Apache. Must have been an amazing sight!

• Mia McPherson June 22, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Linda, it is totally amazing to see so many birds at once. Thanks for your comment.

14. Kathiesbirds June 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Mia, believe it or not, eBird has a post about how to count this many birds! You just pick a section, count the birds in that section and multiply it over the group! Wow! What a sight to see. I wish I could have been there! I really miss the Great Salt Lake and antelope island. It is such a special place!

• Mia McPherson June 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Kathie, I’ll have to try that method of counting one day, maybe not on these images because there are so many birds!Thanks for the tip and your comment.

15. Laurence Butler June 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Wow that’s imposing! You captured the grandeur very well. I’ve never seen more than 2 dozen Phalaropes in one place, and I felt lucky at that. Nice work!

• Mia McPherson June 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Laurence, there are tons out side of both frames. So many you just can’t believe it.