American Bullfrogs – Green Invaders from the East

/, Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, Utah/American Bullfrogs – Green Invaders from the East

An invasive American BullfrogAn invasive American Bullfrog – Nikon  D810, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 320, -0.7 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

American Bullfrogs are an invasive species here in Utah and I have noticed that I am seeing them more often at Farmington Bay WMA than I have in the past.

It is unknown exactly when these large amphibians were brought into the state but one article I read said somewhere around the 1930’s is when people brought them here for food farming. Plant nurseries also used to sell or give away bullfrog tadpoles when people purchased water features.

The problem with these bull frogs is that they are larger than our native frogs, they are more aggressive and they can out compete our native frogs and tadpoles. Bullfrogs will eat whatever they can including other frogs, fish and small ducklings. I remember them eating lots of the fish in my backyard pond back east.

Yes they are cute in a froggy kind of way and I love to hear them but they are another problem for Utah that humans have introduced.

The good news for the day, for me anyway, is that my camera is on the UPS truck and will be delivered today! I will be so glad to have it back in my hands.

1. Ashley Beolens October 16, 2015 at 3:55 am

Stunning photo, shame the species is such a virulent interloper.

2. Patty Chadwick October 9, 2015 at 6:42 pm

I’ll celwbrate the return of your camera when it’s actually in your hands…until then,it’s too soon. I’ve always loved frogs. My cane topper is a frog, but I must admit the bullfrogs are becomingva menace in the mid west and, I epthink even in some western states…they are indescriminant eaters…will eat anything theyvcan get into their grst, big mouths…including birds,ducklings, fish, rodents and other frogs!!!! Man is, once again, responsible…what’s new….

• Patty Chadwick October 9, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Damn this effing iPad!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dick Harlow October 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Yup, they are invasive! I have a large Retention Pond in back of our cottage and Bullfrogs were the first amphibian to take up occupancy after it was first built. There were several than many, but now very few. Reason, Great Blue Herons! Great Blue and Green Herons have definitely made a dent in the frog population here in this Vermont retention pond.

4. Elephant's Child October 9, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Yay for the return of your camera.
    I had no idea that frogs could become invasive. And then I remember the cane-toad, introduced here to disastrous effect.

5. Marilyn Kircus October 9, 2015 at 10:18 am

The good news is that they are good to eat. But they may not yet be numerous enough to be able to catch enough for a mess of frog legs. But I do advocte eating your invasives. That is a great biological control.

6. Ken October 9, 2015 at 8:31 am

The things I learn on your blog, I had no idea they were invasive. They are the only frogs I see at the Great Salt Lake Nature Center.

7. Bob Mcpherson October 9, 2015 at 7:04 am

Nice frog picture, Mia. Yes, they are always hungry and have no fear.