Adult Snowy Egret Hunting for Prey

Snowy Egret about to strike preySnowy Egret about to strike prey – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 400, -0.7 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

A group of egrets can be called a “heronry”, “skewer” and “wedge” of egrets and two days I saw several large groups of Snowy Egrets at Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge. There were so many of them in a small pond near the road that I had trouble being able to isolate just one bird to photograph so I spent some time with the egrets doing just that.

I liked the crouched position of this Snowy Egret as it was about to strike the prey it was hunting and when it struck it did capture and eat the small fish. I also like how the eye in the reflection is larger than the actually eye of the egret and how the egret stands out from the dark water.

1. Humming bird lover July 28, 2016 at 2:45 pm

HI! Love the photo! Great shooting! perfect! love ya mom

2. Elephant's Child July 27, 2016 at 2:35 pm

What a glorious sight to see. And how amazing to have problems choosing which egret to focus on.

3. Larry Muench July 27, 2016 at 11:53 am

Great shot Mia. I like the reflection too.

4. April Olson July 27, 2016 at 11:01 am

Beautiful! I know the pond. It was hard to decide on a bird there were so many. I spent 30 min yesterday morning photographing the same thing. It was my goal for the day. Shooting a white bird in dark surroundings. It was very hard to not blow out my whites. I tried various combinations of AV, TV and ISO. I have a few I like but mostly I was disappointed. I know I can post -process but my goal was not to do anything other than straighten. I always have about a 2% tilt to the right.

5. Patty Chadwick July 27, 2016 at 9:48 am

I think a group of snowies should be called a “drift”…I find the size of the eye in this bird’s reflection interesting and puzzling….

6. Carol July 27, 2016 at 8:58 am

I love this photo.

7. Devin Griffiths July 27, 2016 at 6:37 am

Forgive me for not commenting sooner. I’ve been following your blog regularly, and I absolutely love your work. You’ve got a wonderful eye, and a knack for capturing images that communicate something beyond just the natural beauty of the birds. Your photos tell stories, and they’re inspiring. Thanks for sharing your work.

8. Bob McPherson July 27, 2016 at 6:33 am

Beautiful photo Mia. The eye treatment is interesting.

9. Marie Read July 27, 2016 at 5:23 am

Great shot! Dramatic light and nice composition.