Chukars on a cold winter morning

Home/Antelope Island State Park, Chukars, Davis County, Utah/Chukars on a cold winter morning

Chukar fluffed up against the coldChukar warming in the morning light – Nikon D300, f9, 1/800, ISO 640, -0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 350mm, natural light

I’ve been seeing the Chukars on Antelope Island regularly since the snow started to stay on the ground. I read yesterday that this recent storm has dumped quite a bit more out there yesterday and I can’t wait to get back on the island to photograph the birds and animals. I photographed these Chukars three days ago, there was a bevy of them hunkered down and all fluffed up against the cold that were basking in the warmth of the rising sun.

Chukar warming up in the morning lightFluffed up Chukar on a rock – Nikon D300, f9, 1/500, ISO 640, -0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

It is going to be bitter cold for the next few days so I imagine I will be seeing more fluffed up Chukars when I go to the island.

It is almost hard to believe that in just two months these Chukars will be fighting for territories as they begin the mating season while there is over 9 inches of fresh snow on the ground where I live this morning.

1. Jane Chesebrough January 13, 2013 at 12:30 am

Like these birds, you know it has been pretty cold here the last few days and I see them puffing up to keep warm. I just can’t think about two months from now because here it may not be much different from now.

• Mia McPherson January 14, 2013 at 5:32 am

Jane, you are right, two months from now it might not be any different. March is usually when temps here warm up enough to go camping, I hope that happens again this spring.

2. M. Firpi January 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I can’t believe that some of most beautiful birds are called “game birds”, these have such nice light.

• Mia McPherson January 14, 2013 at 5:31 am

Maria, these birds were brought to North America so people could shoot them, I only hope that those who do hunt them, eat them otherwise it is just slaughtering them.

3. Susan January 12, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I love these photos, what a beautiful bird

4. Merrill Ann Gonzales January 12, 2013 at 10:29 am

I’ve just seen two inches of thick hard ice finally melt around my place….while we don’t have 9′ of snow it did leave me housebound. That second photo of your puffed up Chukar is an image I can identify with personally… We’ve had some streaks of bitter cold come through this year and at such times when our bodies haven’t been ready for it since we’ve had some streaks of high temps come through too. So hunkering down is the plan for the day most days. These are truly gorgeous birds and your photos reveal just how marvelous they are. Many thanks.

• Mia McPherson January 14, 2013 at 5:30 am

Sorry to hear the ice made you homebound Merrill, cabin fever is difficult to deal with. Thanks so much for commenting on these Chukar images.

5. Sherry in MT January 12, 2013 at 10:16 am

Love the coloring in these birds. Your fist shot is really cool and can’t wait to see more cool shots from your time on the Island after the snow.

• Mia McPherson January 14, 2013 at 5:29 am

Thanks Sherry, the snow looks great on the island and it helps to make the subjects really stand out.

6. Beverly Everson January 12, 2013 at 7:10 am

Beautiful!

7. Bob Bushell January 12, 2013 at 6:30 am

Nice one Mia.

8. eric c11 January 12, 2013 at 5:26 am

cute and beautifull, well done mia ☺