American Coot ScratchingAmerican Coot Scratching

I wanted to post a funny bird image today because I have the D.W.B. so I selected this American Coot that was scratching in a pond near where I live in Salt Lake County, Utah. They have such big, goofy looking feet that I can’t help but laugh and have elevated spirits.

You might wonder what D.W.B is.

It is the Dreary Weather Blues and I think I have cabin fever along with it too. Too many days of gray clouds and really bad light.

It sounds like this evening this mess might finally clear up but until it does I will be singing the Dreary Weather Blues.

1. D.O.T.S. February 1, 2014 at 6:13 am

[…] D.W.B. […]

2. Dennis Coleman January 31, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Your post definitely made me smile, so mission accomplished. However, I thought D.W.B. was short for Driving While Birding! 😉

3. Patty Neumueller January 31, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I have the D.W.B.also. The coot picture is just what the doctor ordered for mood improvement!

• Mia McPherson January 31, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Patty, we all need a strong dose of sunshine! Glad the Coot image helped!

4. Patty Chadwick January 31, 2014 at 12:18 pm

The best medicine for me is any image of a burrowing owl…best of all would to see them in the wild, next would be a DVD or tape, and thirdly, also very effective are a series of stills…..Burrowing Owls, baby elephants and goats, and, of course, Warthogs are guaranteed to make me laugh! When all else fails, I look in the mirror….

• Mia McPherson January 31, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Laughing out loud here Patty! Burrowing Owls do lift my spirits too, so many birds and animals do I can’t list them all.

5. Patty Chadwick January 31, 2014 at 12:12 pm

They have “cartoon feet”…don’t look real, look exaggerated. I empathize with the weather blues, I suffer from TMGDS ( too many gray days syndrome)…all I want to do is curl up somewhere soft and warm, cover my head, and suck my thumb, until the sun comes out again. I think many of us are “solar powered”….prolonged periods of cold, gray days really bring us down…..

• Mia McPherson January 31, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Patty, my energy level drops like a rock when we have so many gray days. So I might have D.W.B, TMGDS and cabin fever. I think my gear has started to get cobwebs too.

6. Sherry in MT January 31, 2014 at 7:31 am

I agree, the coots DO have the goofiest looking feet of just about any bird. I was so shocked when I saw the first one’s feet as usually you just see them cruising around in the water. Hope your DWB is over soon, sounds like ours is just beginning again.

• Mia McPherson January 31, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Sherry, I hope you get a strong dose of sunshine to ward off the impending DWBs. Coots are just such fun birds!

7. Stu January 31, 2014 at 8:06 am

Great Shot.. Has a comic book tone to it

8. Lois Bryan January 31, 2014 at 6:53 am

He is darling … and I noticed those fabulous shoes … no wait … interesting feet … right away!!! Hope your DWB goes away quick!!!

9. Cheryl Valdez January 31, 2014 at 6:36 am

Copy that, Mia. Great shot of the coot though!

10. Montanagirl January 31, 2014 at 6:26 am

Nice shot – I didn’t realize they had such big feet.

• Mia McPherson January 31, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Montanagirl, their feet are huge in comparison to their bodies.