An American Alligator at J. N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge

/, Florida, J. N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge/An American Alligator at J. N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge

American Alligator at J. N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife RefugeAn American Alligator at J. N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge – Nikon D70, handheld, f5, 1/60, Nikkor 70-300mm without VR at 220mm, natural light, not baited

While going through some old files I came across this image of an American Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) that I took in 2007 at J. N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge and realized that I have never posted any of my Alligator images on my blog or in my photo galleries so I am rectifying that situation. I laid down on a small boardwalk to get this image and I am glad the gator didn’t start swimming towards me or I might have had wet pants without going into the water. I am not afraid of many animals but I do have a very healthy respect for Alligators.

Despite my being nervous around Alligators I do find them fascinating because they are walking, eating living fossils and  first appeared during the Oligocene epoch about 37 million years ago. I also like their cat-like eyes.

1. Elephant's Child September 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Alligators and sharks – largely unchanged for such a long time. Both deserving of respect, in all senses of the word. I am not big on snakes. I can (and do) appreciate their beauty – from a very safe distance.
    Wonderful photo – thank you.

2. Dave Sparks September 8, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I like the top-down perspective on the gator …. probably safer than your usual perspective for birds.
    They reserve your respect. They usually appear to be so sluggish, but then they can move so fast.
    I realized a couple of days ago, that I did not have any alligator photos on my web site either.

3. Merrill Ann Gonzales September 8, 2013 at 9:42 am

When I look at something like the Alligator to see what it takes to survive the changing world we live in over eons of time…. I’m also reminded that there are other species that have been able to endure… I understand the great blue heron is no newcomer to our world. It makes me wonder what engine of life is within them… and am reminded of Blake’s “tigre, tigre …” poem… although I don’t think tigers are especially ancient as a species… and already are becoming extinct. So knowing how adaptable to this world the alligator is, one can’t help but wonder if they will be here after we are gone??????

4. Montanagirl September 8, 2013 at 6:49 am

He’s impressive looking, and he’s got “his eye” on you!!

5. Stu September 8, 2013 at 6:12 am

Great detail throughout.. Wonderful photo

6. Sonja Ross September 8, 2013 at 4:10 am

Their eyes are incredible, aren’t they?