Two Moose on the loose in the Targhee National Forest

/, Idaho, Moose, Targhee National Forest/Two Moose on the loose in the Targhee National Forest

Moose cow in the sageMoose cow in the sage – Nikon D7100, f6.3, 1/1250, ISO 500, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

On my recent trip to eastern Idaho’s Targhee National Forest the first mammals I encountered and photographed were a cow and calf Moose. The cow and calf were walking down a sage covered hillside heading towards a creek on the other side of the road. The cow was one of the darkest moose I have seen with a nearly black body. She was bothered by flies and those can be seen in the air near her rump.

Moose calf crossing a dirt roadMoose calf crossing a dirt road – Nikon D7100, f6.3, 1/2500, ISO 500, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

The calf; born earlier this spring, looks like it is all legs at this age and has begun to shed some of the rusty red fur on its back. It was rushing to catch up to the cow who had already crossed the road when I took this image. Such a cute little bugger.

Targhee National ForestTarghee National Forest – HTC One cell phone image, f2, 1/4348, ISO 125, 4mm, natural light

The Targhee National Forest is beautiful and offers many scenic views of gentle slopes covered by sagebrush, creeks lined with willows, and mountains with pines, spruce and aspens.  The trip was wonderful and relaxing.

Today is an important day for me and many other bird lovers in Utah because there is a hearing at 10 am concerning the proposed Crow Hunt that we want to stop. I hope you will all send your positive thoughts our way, we sure could use them. To show you the kind of mentality we are dealing with I’d like to post what one board member; John Bair,  has as his tag line on Twitter:

Husband, Father, fun lovin, huntin, auctioneering Mormon Redneck. Weapons and mules…Good.  Anti-American liberals….BAD
Springville Utah

Sad, isn’t it?

I hope to personally thank Bill Fenimore and Michael King for voting against the crow hunt at the last hearing. I want to express my appreciation to both of them for being on the right side of this issue.

Help Stop the Utah Crow Hunt

Help Stop the Utah Crow Hunt – Part II

1. Sarah Mayhew July 30, 2014 at 5:58 am

Love the image of the calf! Too cute!

2. MariaF. July 29, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I still can’t believe this sort of thing still goes on. White-winged doves are also on the list. How about the “Duck Commander” crew that’s on TV and have branded items of their hunting gear for sale everywhere? (http://duckcommander.com)

Is this what we want children to watch on TV? Even if the birds are for eating, it’s the most revolting TV show on the air these days! How can this type of show even be allowed to be aired on television?

My heart goes out to all majestic beasts that will sacrifice their innocence and beauty to the ruthless hands of the HOMO SAPIENS race, oh, so predictable….

3. Patty Chadwick July 29, 2014 at 3:58 pm

That is one shiny-coated mamma moose…and a very cute baby! The cruel stupidity of a “crow” hunt, boggles my mind…it should be called the “black bird hunt”, because that’s what it will end up being…crows, magpies, ravens, etc. It sure makes Utah look ignorant, backward, stupid, and cruel…definitely not a desirable destination!

• Utahbooklover July 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I like those images too, including the scenic one. As for the stupid crow hunt, at least it was a close 3 to 2 vote today and boos and calls for scientific evidence filled the room when the decision was announced today, says the Tribune. Utah is not so unique, however, with 45 other states also permitting crow hunts, sad to say.

• Mia McPherson July 29, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Utahbooklover, I don’t think this issue about the crow hunt is over yet. We still have options. I loved it when the boos and calls for scientific data filled the auditorium. Utah and Arizona have the fewest crows in the nation. I can’t wait for the audio of the hearing to be posted on the UDWR site, I am going to do another post on this crow hunt and I want to quote some of the things that were said.

4. Elephant's Child July 29, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Beautiful place – and I am amazed at that black glossy coat on the moose. And the play of muscles under her skin.
    Fingers and toes crossed for the crow hearing. Tightly crossed.

5. Robert Mortensen July 29, 2014 at 9:51 am

Mia,

Was this near Big Springs campground near Island Park? We were camping there last week and had a momma moose and calf and I got some pictures too.

• Mia McPherson July 29, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Robert, this was near Stoddard Creek, east of Island Park.

6. Tana Hunter July 29, 2014 at 7:50 am

Yes it is bad. Hunting is a dieing sport, but not soon enough.