Morning treasures from six years ago today

Snowy Egret in dawn's lightSnowy Egret in dawn’s light

These images of wading and shorebirds were taken at Fort De Soto County Park’s north beach six years ago today on a beautiful morning.

I photographed this Snowy Egret as the sun came up over the eastern horizon and the light seemed to make the egret glow against the blues of the Gulf of Mexico.

Ruddy Turnstone on the goRuddy Turnstone on the go

This Ruddy Turnstone came in real close as I laid as still as a rock on the beach. I had to back up my zoom to fit the shorebird into the frame. I guess it shows that good things come to those with patience.

Resting Snowy PloverResting Snowy Plover

It was actually a cool morning and a lot of the smaller shorebirds; like this Snowy Plover, were resting on the sand and soaking in the warmth of the sun.

Resting Wilson's PloverResting Wilson’s Plover

Along with this Wilson’s Plover who was also resting nearby.

Resting Semipalmated PloverResting Semipalmated Plover

And a cute little Semipalmated Plover tucked into the wrack line not far from where I laid in the sand.

Tricolored Heron with preyTricolored Heron with prey

Later as the sun climbed into the sky I photographed this Tricolored Heron moments after to caught a small fish at the edge of the Gulf of Mexico.

I love what I do and I love my subjects too. Yesterday, today and all my tomorrows.

1. Kathie September 25, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Mia, I love your passion! It comes through with every photo and word! That white sand almost looks like snow! I would love to see a Wilson’s Plover!

2. Jolanta September 25, 2014 at 3:55 pm

These photos are so beautiful, no words! Thank you!!!

3. Elephant's Child September 25, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I love being able to visit your crowded memory banks. Thank you.

4. Utahbooklover September 25, 2014 at 9:45 am

Another beautiful series Mia but I’m wondering how you manage to recall so much detail years later?

• Mia McPherson September 25, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Utahbooklover, I’m blessed (or cursed) with excellent memory skills for certain parts of my life, I can’t seem to forget them. But I can forget other things very easily. When I am in the field every scent, sensation and visual delight is imprinted on my brain.

5. Mary McAvoy September 25, 2014 at 8:46 am

Gorgeous collection of images.
    You really have a gift, Mia.
    I think your subjects love you too!
    Your photos are beyond equipment and technique.
    The simpatico between photographer and subject is apparent.
    As always, thanks for sharing your photos.
    Mary

6. Patty Chadwick September 25, 2014 at 8:45 am

I can only echo Devin Griffith’s sentiments and comments…i agree 100% ….those little guys look content and serene….

7. Lois Bryan September 25, 2014 at 8:21 am

Every one is just a gift … to you from Mother Nature … and from you to us!!!! What a glorious morning you had!!!!!!

8. Glen Fox September 25, 2014 at 8:07 am

May you have many tomorrows, Mia!

9. Montanagirl September 25, 2014 at 7:33 am

You’re very good at “what you do”. Fabulous photography that you are willing to share with us!

10. Devin Griffiths September 25, 2014 at 6:57 am

These are wonderful images, Mia. I particularly like the three plovers, as they tell a definite story of the ability these little birds have to survive, and to take in stride situations that would confound most of us. They may be cold, but it’s just another day to them, and they’ll get through it with a grace and dignity (and, if I can risk anthropomorphizing a bit, a joy) that simply escapes most people. Well done!