Journey to Capitol Reef National Park

/, Utah, Wayne County/Journey to Capitol Reef National Park

Journey to Capitol Reef National Park in 2015

Just a short note from Capitol Reef National Park, I haven’t seen many birds yet but I have seen blue skies, red rocks, green junipers and some of the first spring wildflowers.

2016-12-07T12:08:07+00:00March 26th, 2015|Categories: Capitol Reef National Park, Utah, Wayne County|Tags: , |18 Comments

1. Jane Chesebrough March 29, 2015 at 1:17 am

When I get out in the bush, it’s coffee by the camp fire, and for some strange reason, i always take twizzlers.The blue skies with the red rocks-yes!

2. Elephant's Child March 26, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Wow.
    A harsh, unforgiving, sublimely beautiful landscape.

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2015 at 4:09 pm

It is very beautiful EC and I sure wouldn’t want to be here without water and food. And I sure couldn’t be here without my coffee!

3. Samantha Biobabbler March 26, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Oh, good grief, I LOVE that park. What an amazing collection of stunning geology & cultural resources, and surprising biology in a little space. So concentrated. Hit that park on our newlywed tour of NPs in the west, and it’s a GEM. =) I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourself. =)

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I love the park to Samantha. It’s a bit crowded right now because of spring break. But I can never get enough of it, Thanks!

4. Patty Chadwick March 26, 2015 at 9:04 am

I hope you get some shots of those wildflowers, your flower photos are AMAZING!!!!

5. Neil March 26, 2015 at 7:29 am

Head on over to Bicknell Bottoms Mia. Should be lots of bluebirds, harriers, sandhill cranes, snipes, and waterfowl. Have fun!

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2015 at 7:35 am

Already been there Neil, it was not birdy last evening, heading there now

• Neil March 26, 2015 at 7:59 am

Weird. I was three last Friday and there were tons of Sandhills Cranes, Snipes, and Bluebirds. Best of luck finding those birds! They’re always a little bit harder to find in the desert, which I like. Makes it more of a challenge, and more rewarding, when you do find them!

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2015 at 8:09 am

Only saw 6 cranes yesterday from a long distance, only 6 so far this morning, also a long distance. One Golden in bad light.

• Neil March 26, 2015 at 8:49 am

Yeah I suppose Bicknell isn’t the best for getting close to birds, but you can still see a lot! Mia can you do me a favor? I know you don’t use eBird a lot, but can you post your sightings from Bicknell Bottoms? I got some word from Utah DWR that there is some development pressure in the area and they’re looking for more data on wildlife/bird numbers in the area. It could help! Thanks a ton! 🙂

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2015 at 9:10 am

Will do Neil, I would hate to see Bicknell Bottoms developed.

Last March I saw tons of cranes there

• Neil March 26, 2015 at 8:00 am

Oh I hope you see some flocks of Pinyon Jays! They’re a bird that I’ve always wanted to photograph but can just never get close!

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2015 at 8:11 am

Saw some Pinyon Jays yesterday and they disappeared before I could raise my lens!

• Mia McPherson March 26, 2015 at 7:41 am

Going up to Fish Lake today

6. Mia McPherson March 26, 2015 at 6:40 am

Thanks Bob!

Posting from the field has not been easy with a slow internet connection via cell signal and trying to use my phone and my tablet using the phone’s hotspot. Then I had to edit the image in my laptop because it was too big to upload.

7. Bob Bushell March 26, 2015 at 5:27 am

The different colours of the mountains, fantastic.