Cooler Weather on the Horizon

Tundra Swan with the Promontory Mountains in the backgroundTundra Swan with the Promontory Mountains in the background – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/2500, ISO 500, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

We’ve still been having record breaking high temperatures here in northern Utah but the forecast shows some cooler weather is about to arrive. I’m glad. It is about time.

The warm weather seems to be affecting the migration of some birds. I am still seeing Sage Thrashers and they are usually gone by now. Still seeing Spotted Sandpipers, Snowy Egrets and other birds who have typically moved south and the migration of birds that show up here during the fall seems delayed.

Maybe the cooler weather coming in later this week will bring some of those migrating birds down. I hope so.

1. Elephant's Child October 15, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Sky watch is something I do as often as I bird watch. Both are a gift.

2. Utahbooklover October 15, 2015 at 9:20 am

Beautiful image. Yes, 20 degrees F above normal is too hot. I’m ready for cooler too.

3. Cindy October 15, 2015 at 8:33 am

I have noticed the same, Mia. Odd weather. Here in Utah, I saw the last hummer at the feeder about September 20th. I think he was migrating. I have seen some geese formations but not many. Lets hope our winter will be “normal” this year. Beautiful photo, Mia.

4. Bob Mcpherson October 15, 2015 at 8:11 am

Beautiful image, Mia.

5. Humming bird lover October 15, 2015 at 7:28 am

Hi!

Love all the colors and the Swan is beautiful! Keep up the great photo’s! I know I saw a hummer 2 days ago? All the rest are gone! I took in my feeder inside 2nd week of Sept.? We do still have flowers blooming so it will be okay here in Va. Have a great day ! love ya much mom

6. Patty Chadwick October 15, 2015 at 6:49 am

Beautiful sky, beautiful bird, beautiful combination!