Eight-spotted Skimmer & Variegated Meadowhawk

/, Dragonflies, Eight-spotted Skimmers, Utah, Variegated Meadowhawk/Eight-spotted Skimmer & Variegated Meadowhawk

Variegated Meadowhawk on a rusty wireVariegated Meadowhawk on a rusty wire – Nikon D500, f8, 1/640, ISO 320, Nikkor 500mm VR, natural light

While I photographed the juvenile Red-tailed Hawk whose photos I shared yesterday I also photographed a few other “things with wings” but without feathers. I love dragonflies and whenever I can take images of them I do. This Variegated Meadowhawk (Sympetrum corruptum) looked like it had lilac colored eyes in the field but when I got home I think they just looked kind of purpley in contrast to the rusty cable the meadowhawk was perched on.

Eight-spotted Skimmer on a rusty wireEight-spotted Skimmer on a rusty wire – Nikon D500, f8, 1/500, ISO 320, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

And there were also tons of Eight-spotted Skimmers (Libellula forensis) flying around. There are freshwater springs in the area with plenty of mosquitoes and that seemed to attract the dragonflies. If they want to eat all of the mosquitoes around I sure won’t stand in their way, I will applaud them!

I enjoyed photographing the Eight-spotted Skimmer and Variegated Meadowhawk in between taking photos of the cooperative yet clumsy Red-tailed Hawk juvenile.

1. Patty Chadwick July 6, 2017 at 1:43 pm

That Variegated Meadowhawk looks like its made of pure, fine silver…

2. April Olson July 6, 2017 at 9:19 am

Very nice shots. I noticed an abundance of dragonflies, I tried to photograph a few last time I was there but the biting deer flies drove me back to my car. Either I must taste good or mosquito spray did not work for the flies.

3. Utahbooklover July 6, 2017 at 9:04 am

Great images Mia. I too enjoy watching them, along with damselflies which seem to be more numerous than usual. Found another book to add to my collection: “Who knew that there were 348 species of dragonflies and damselflies in the Western United States? That fact alone should make nature lovers who enjoy traveling to wild places want to check out Dennis Paulson’s new book, Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West, published by Princeton University Press. . . . This guide includes information on flight seasons, habitat and natural history in the description of each insect as well as helpful tips on how to observe and photograph them.”–Salt Lake Tribune

• April Olson July 6, 2017 at 9:21 am

Thank you for the info, I will have to add this book to my collection too.

4. Patty Chadwick July 6, 2017 at 8:36 am

I love these. When summer (hamblyeca/”vision quest”) camping with Lakota, a young boy I had befriended offered to take me to a “secret place”, a tiny pond way back in the mountains. The air was literally filled with bright turquoise and electric blue damselflies darting around everywhere. It was magical…..I felt honored.

• Laura Culley July 6, 2017 at 9:59 am

Oh my Patty! That would be magical! There are so many magics in The Great Out There!

• Elephants Child July 6, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Magic indeed. And a gift given to someone who appreciated it – then and now.