Spring Time Chukar

Spring time Chukar Spring time Chukar – Nikon D300, f13, 1/320, ISO 400, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

Some of the wildflowers have started to bloom on Antelope Island State Park and I have looked forward to seeing them. I liked that this spring time Chukar perched on a rock where a few of the Redstem Filaree were visible.

Redstem Filaree abounds on Antelope Island State Park but it is likely that they are overlooked by many people because they are so tiny and hug the ground very closely. I’ve never observed Chukars eating the stems or blossoms but I suspect they might eat the seeds of the filaree later on in the season.

1. Tammy Karr May 1, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Great photo of the Chukar! I would love to see one of these interesting looking birds someday!!

• Mia McPherson May 3, 2012 at 11:48 am

I hope you do see a Chukar soon Tammy! Thanks.

2. Larry Jordan May 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Gorgeous Chukar Mia! Love the colors and the composition. I must say that the juvenile Black Skimmer on your header is one of the most incredible bird photos I have ever seen!! Let me guess, you buried yourself in the sand with only your head sticking out and used a remote shutter release? ;-D

• Mia McPherson May 3, 2012 at 11:42 am

Larry, as I recall I found a little trench in the sand that was caused by high waves cresting over the spit of sand I was on, that placed me lower than the bird. My lens was resting on the sand and I probably looked camoflauged to the Skimmer in my drab looking hiking clothes. Thank you for the glowing comment on the Skimmer image and for your comment on the Chukar image too.

3. Laurence Butler May 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Beautiful shot Mia. There’s no better place to see Chukar’s than your site. Do you know what the little bulbs are on top of the beaks? They kinda look like red ‘spree’ candy.

• Mia McPherson May 3, 2012 at 11:38 am

Larence, the two little red bulbs are the nares, or air passages for the Chukars, they sort of remind me of the little cinnamon candy “Red Hots”. Thanks for your wonderful comment on these images.

4. Carol Mattingly May 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm

The markings on the Chukars are so different. It’s amazing. Carol

• Mia McPherson May 3, 2012 at 11:36 am

Carol, those markings can either make the bird stand out or make the Chukar nearly invisible in the right setting. Guess that is how they hide from their predators. Thank you for your comment.

5. dreamfalcon May 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I’m glad you said something about the Chukar – my focus was totally on the flowers, I would have missed it 😉
    awesome photo!

• Mia McPherson May 3, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thanks! I appreciate your comments and for noticing the bird! 😉

6. judy watson May 1, 2012 at 6:20 am

How beautiful with the little flower!

• Mia McPherson May 3, 2012 at 11:34 am

Judy, those little flowers are almost through blooming, I wish their season would last longer. The Gray’s Biscuitroot season too. Thank you.

7. Debbie Miller @HooootOwl May 1, 2012 at 6:14 am

Would love to see one of these! Wonderful photo!

• Mia McPherson May 3, 2012 at 11:33 am

Debbie, I would love for you to see a Chukar, they are fun birds. Thank you.

8. Bob Zeller May 1, 2012 at 5:40 am

Beautiful photo of the Chukar. The only place that I can see them are on your posts. 🙂

• Mia McPherson May 3, 2012 at 11:32 am

Bob, I hope that you get to see and photograph a Chukar soon. Thank you!