Birds on Wires – European Starling

European StarlingEuropean Starling

Sorry for the late post today, had some technical issues earlier.

I know a lot of people don’t like European Starlings because they are in introduced species that cause lots of problems for native birds. I can’t blame the starlings though I can only shake my head at how humans mess things up in nature.

Any way, this starling chose to perch on the barbed wire which I like because it is rusty and the soft background sure helps the bird stand out.

This post is short but mainly I just wanted to let people know that I am going to try posting later in the day for a bit and see how that goes.

Life is crazy but good.

1. Jane Chesebrough November 25, 2014 at 11:28 am

You sure are having problems in the technical areas, hope that clears up. That always seems to happen when you want to do a “quick post.” I like the markings on starlings. We had them take over a neighbourhood for a season and ii found it fascinating to observe their behaviours but haven’t seen them since.

2. Utahbooklover November 24, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Very good image. I enjoy watching their patterns in the sky when they fly together in great numbers, except when right overhead like last month in Corrine — several poop splatters on the car resulted.

3. Elephant's Child November 24, 2014 at 8:27 pm

It is the Indian Mynahs here which get the bad press. We introduced them, and now complain when they thrive – at the expense of some of our native species. Solution? Kill them.
    Hiss and spit. My prejudices are almost always against people.

4. Mary McAvoy November 24, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Whatever the sentiment about the subject, this is a stunning photograph.
    Thanks, Mia.

5. Ron Dudley November 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I agree, Mia – they’re beautiful birds, especially in this plumage. I also admire your tenacity in gently twisting my arm for me to give starlings a little more slack. You’re very right – the bird is not to blame for our short-sightedness. This image inspires me to work on my avian prejudices and I admit that I do have them to some degree. Hopefully we’ve seen the worst of the technical issues….

6. CS November 24, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Agree, humans mess things up, then blame the animals.

7. Lois Bryan November 24, 2014 at 6:53 pm

They are funny little guys … and yes, I know they’re controversial. But I will say when they’ve been around visiting me, their antics, in their little groups, really get me laughing! And they make for great pictures, as you’ve just proven!!!!!

8. SkyHawker4 November 24, 2014 at 6:51 pm

The Starling coloration is beautiful. Starlings are a menance to our native birds, but not their fault they were introduced to America from Europe.

9. SkyHawker4 November 24, 2014 at 6:47 pm

The Starlings do have beautiful coloring, although they are a menace to our native birds, it’s not their fault they were introduced to America.
    Very nice pic Mia. Agree life is crazy, but good!