I’m a real sucker for birds

Male Williamson's SapsuckerMale Williamson’s Sapsucker – Nikon D300, f9, 1/1250, ISO 640, -03. EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

Birds; of all species, delight and enchant me. Their behavior fascinates me and learning more about them expands my mind. Birds never bore me and I probably talk about them incessantly. My friends and family might think that is all I think about. I can’ t seem to shake my addiction to birds.

I focus on birds both with my mind and my camera and even when I am doing something not bird related my eyes are still scanning for them. Birds occupy my mind both day and night and if there were 36 hours to a day I am sure I’d squeeze in more thoughts about them. I will photograph birds big and small, those that are flashy and those that are dull. From rare to common it doesn’t matter to me. If it has feathers I will photograph it.

I am a real sucker for birds. Whether it is watching, listening to or photographing them.

1. Kathie January 27, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Mia, me too! I have a feeling that you and I would get along magnificently and neither one of us would have to apologize when our attention was distracted when a bird flew by! When I was visiting my friend, Grace, recently, I realized that while we talked, we never looked at each other, we both had our eyes on the birds outside at her feeders! I guess that explains just a little bit about how I fell down the hole in her floor while looking at birds!

BTW, woodpeckers are my favorite group of birds and I was so proud of myself when I identified my first male Williamson Sapsucker on a walk near Estes Park, CO way back in the 1990’s!

2. SkyHawker4 January 27, 2015 at 10:24 am

Mia you always outdo yourself–the Williams took my breath away! (all photos do that!) but thought I could reach out and him hop onto my hand!
    Yes–Life is Good!

3. Humming Bird Lover January 26, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Hi! Great details and colors! You know I love and talk to all the birds and Owls here in Virginia! the Redheaded woodpecker is so cute ! It will answer me and get closer and closer and than goes to my feeder! I was lucky to get a few good photo’s of it ! Thanks to you for my Camera! Have a great day coming up!

4. Elephant's Child January 26, 2015 at 3:33 pm

I never would have guessed. Love your obsession – and the generosity with which you share it.

5. CJ Oakley January 26, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I feel the same way Mia – so glad you’re into birds – even more glad I found your photography…

As a bird artist I find your work an inspiration… and the detail is totally mind blowing.

You’re right – life is good!

6. Patty Chadwick January 26, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Incredible detail!!! You must not only have an amazing eye, but amazing patience and amazing equipment to get a shot like that!!!

7. Utahbooklover January 26, 2015 at 10:01 am

I am always watching for birds and get a satisfaction from just seeing them, and sometimes photographing. But I never get those great shots like yours Mia. This sapsucker reminds me of a woodpecker I was watching last weekend (maybe a Downy woodpecker?) in Bountiful. Our warm weather continues with predicted high near 50 degrees!

8. Mary Ann January 26, 2015 at 9:24 am

I concur

9. Lori January 26, 2015 at 7:52 am

Mia, we are fortunate for your fascination! We would not be able to share your art and knowledge with others if not for your “addiction”. Just last night I showed my brothers and their wives your photos and they were in awe! And rightly so. Thank you again!

10. Jolanta January 26, 2015 at 7:38 am

I love birds, they are fascinating 🙂

11. Ilze Long January 26, 2015 at 6:20 am