The Grebes are Back at Bear River National Wildlife Refuge!

Clark's Grebe adult at Bear River NWRClark’s Grebe adult at Bear River NWR – Nikon D200, f6.3, 1/1000, ISO 250, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

A few days ago I thought I heard grebes calling at Bear River National Wildlife Refuge when I was photographing Tundra Swans and just after that the staff at the refuge confirmed that the grebes are back! Pied-billed Grebes can be found at the refuge most of the year but the Western and Clark’s Grebes are migratory and I have been waiting for their return. They breed at the refuge and soon they should be rushing which is a fascinating courtship display.

Western Grebe adult at Bear River NWRWestern Grebe adult at Bear River NWR – Nikon D200, f6.3, 1/1000, ISO 250, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light

Western and Clark’s Grebes will soon number in the thousands at Bear River NWR along the auto tour route and on the Bear River itself. I can’t wait to see them rushing or chasing after each other!

Spring is springing up all over.

(These images were taken in 2009)

1. Patty Chadwick March 9, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I can’t decide if grebes are doofy or elegant,,,guess they’re both…

2. Chris Oakley March 8, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Great photos Mia – love the reflected colours in the background – makes that red eye leap out. Also wonderful to see these two side by side – makes it so easy to spot the differences for identifcation – thanks so much!

3. Elephant's Child March 8, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Just glorious. Thank you. As always.

4. Jane Chesebrough March 8, 2015 at 11:30 am

Maybe it just looked like I had changed the clocks last night. Oh well, I am up today, and it is SPRING. Even though there may be a month or so of snow, it feels like a spring day today. Your photos of the Grebes are a welcome sight. I love those courtship displays!

5. wendy chapman March 8, 2015 at 7:48 am

They are very attractive and your photos really show the gleam in those bright red eyes. Here in Wisconsin we have seen red throated loons which are a rare migratory bird. They have been holding in a harbor in Port Washington. Young birds and very attractive as well.

6. Dave Sparks March 8, 2015 at 7:38 am

Wow! What beautiful birds. Looking forward to your new images of their courtship displays.