Pair of Greater Sage-Grouse on a June morning

/, Greater Sage-Grouse, Utah, Wayne County/Pair of Greater Sage-Grouse on a June morning

A pair of Greater Sage-Grouse on a June morningA pair of Greater Sage-Grouse on a June morning – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 400, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

It hasn’t been a very birdy trip so far but I did photograph a pair of Greater Sage-Grouse yesterday morning that were close enough to take images of. I have seen quite a few grouse but off in the distance or way off in flight.

I have also seen a few Golden Eagles but they too were at a distance. As usual I have seen lots of beautiful scenery and I always enjoy that even when the birds aren’t cooperating.

1. Elephant's Child June 3, 2015 at 3:03 pm

What amazing, and beautiful camoflague. Puts armed forces to shame… As it should.

2. Charlotte Engstad June 3, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I did not know that there is grouse in the US, I thought it was an semi-arctic bird. Does your grouse shift to white feathers in the autumn? And is it a Lagopus species? Here in Norway we have to types of grouse. Lagopus lagopus an Lagopus mutus. Cheers form the far North!

3. Patty Chadwick June 3, 2015 at 10:12 am

I saw that show, too…the destruction of habitat made me sad, angry and depressed…didn’t have to be…

4. Patty Chadwick June 3, 2015 at 8:25 am

Those grouse (Greese?) are perfect examples of natural camouflage…if they put their heads down, they’d disappear…(seeing a Golden Eagle from ANY distance is pure joy!!!)…how I envy you!!!!!!!!

5. Mia McPherson June 3, 2015 at 5:59 am

Nancy, I saw that PBS special too and loved it. I am fortunate that I am able to see a lot of the kind of country that was in that special

6. Nancy Collins June 3, 2015 at 5:43 am

Awesome Mia! I just last night watched a PBS presentation on “The Sagebrush Sea”. It featured the Greater Sage-Grouse!