Possibly my last Western Grebe images of the year

/, Davis County, Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, Utah, Western Grebes/Possibly my last Western Grebe images of the year

A stretching Western GrebeA stretching Western Grebe – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/2000, ISO 400, -0.7 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

This Western Grebe might be the last one I photograph this year because it appears that most of them have migrated for the winter. There was only one Western Grebe on the pond and I took a nice series of images of this particular bird. I’m sure people have seen me get very excited when I write here about my FOY (first of year) or FOS (first of season) birds. I jump up and down when I see my FOY/FOS Tundra Swan or Swainson’s Hawk, Black-chinned Hummingbird or Sandhill Crane. My joy flows over into my images and my posts here on my blog.

It is different though when I think quietly to myself… “Will this be the last Western Grebe I photograph this year?” or “Will I get the opportunity to see just one more before they are gone for the winter?”.

Those thoughts make me reflect back on the birds I photographed during the spring and summer and they make me ask myself questions. “Did I get all the images of them I could have?” or “Should I have been more patient and sat with pairs of the grebes longer and gotten the rushing grebe images I have dreamed of?”.

Then I slowly start to dream about the next year. Looking forward to the future while enjoying every minute of the present.

Just something I think about.

1. Jane Chesebrough November 22, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Well, that’s a nice parting shot!

2. Ingrid T November 20, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I had a post once called The Penultimate Waxwing … because every time I thought I was photographing my last for the spring, another flock would appear. So, in other words, I relate! I love these grebes and your photos of them. They’re starting to appear here in California. Do they come here from your direction, Mia?

3. Elephant's Child November 20, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Possibly, but the birds and Nature call the shots.
    Great image though – if it is the last of the season, he/she is leaving the audience smiling (and wanting more).

4. Patty Chadwick November 20, 2015 at 7:35 am

Checked again, the exact words were “….possibly my last West….” OK! so I’, harping in it. But it scared me!!!

5. Patty Chadwick November 20, 2015 at 6:59 am

You sure scared me!!! On my IN BOX, it had your name and “This may be my last……” Then nothing else! …and with my current state of mind, I automatically assumed the worst…and all it turned out to be was a great shot of a goofy Grebe with its head on uoside down!!!!

• Ingrid T November 20, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I felt the same way when I saw the title!

6. Bob Mcpherson November 20, 2015 at 5:54 am

Beautiful photo Mia. Definitely showing off for you.