Coyote Walking in the Shallow Water of the Great Salt Lake Before Daybreak

/, Coyotes, Davis County, Utah/Coyote Walking in the Shallow Water of the Great Salt Lake Before Daybreak

Coyote walking in the shallow water of the Great Salt LakeCoyote walking in the shallow water of the Great Salt Lake – D500, f7.1, 1/200, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited or called in

I don’t see as many Coyotes or see them as frequently as I used to on Antelope Island State Park or on the causeway to the island so when I do find them I get excited even when the light isn’t optimal, even when they are further away than I’d like.

In October I spotted a Coyote walking in the shallow water of the Great Salt Lake from the causeway to Antelope Island in pre-dawn light where the water was reflecting the pink clouds of daybreak. Even though the Coyote was a long way out in the lake I couldn’t resist photographing it plus I liked that a few avocets were in the frame too. For me this photo conveys a feeling of peacefulness and hope.

I love Coyotes and how they adapt and thrive despite human encroachment. They are wild animals and some people are afraid of them, I am not one of those people. I admire them and more than that I respect their place and value in the natural world.

1. Utahbooklover January 17, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Nice image of one of my favorites. I hope some can endure their continuing loss of habitat.

2. Marty K January 16, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Such a beautiful shot. Your coyotes are much fluffier than our SoCal ones.

3. Elephants Child January 16, 2018 at 11:38 am

Serene and lovely.
    As I wait for the sun to rise here (knowing that there will be no coyotes) I am hoping for some of the same serenity.

4. Pepe Forte January 16, 2018 at 10:42 am

Outstanding! What a terrific pic! I love the balanced lighting and muted colors you captured around Wiley. Ain’t he gorgeous? Thanks Mia.

5. Laura Culley January 16, 2018 at 8:58 am

Oh MY that’s a beautiful image! I love it for so many reasons–among them the colors of the dawn, the peace/serenity, the lone coyote, where it’s placed in the frame–the whole shebang!
    Like you, I’m not afraid of them either, although I’m aware of their presence when I’m out flying Jack. I’m not sure he would have the sense to leave a catch if he were threatened by them. That could spell disaster. But that’s also the risk we take when we step into their world. I believe we are all on our journeys through this life, we must respect each other and SHARE the resources of this crazy spinning rock with the others who also live here. It’s really not that difficult, but we humans (overall) struggle with the idea of respect for others on this planet. DARGH!

6. Patty Chadwick one of my favorite birds January 16, 2018 at 8:34 am

These clever creatures have so much to teach us! Love the implied distance and solitude of this shot…

7. Liz Cormack January 16, 2018 at 7:59 am

That is such a peaceful photo. Beautiful.

8. suzanne Mcdougal January 16, 2018 at 6:01 am

We get to see a few in the western hills of the Oquirrhs with their ninja stealth. I love to watch them pounce and come up triumphant, silent with a vole, then pad sofly off to have coyote brunch. Yours is a beautiful “reflection” on the subject.

9. Laura January 16, 2018 at 5:53 am

Beautiful photo.

10. LSClemens January 16, 2018 at 5:41 am

Beautiful. Peaceful. Your coyotes look strong & healthy with beautiful thick coats. I see & hear them here in the CT suburbs, where they have a lot of white tail deer to eat, (and occasional small dogs & cats) but they are usually scrawnier & less beautiful.