Ruby-crowned Kinglet – Just A Tiny Bird On A Stick Photo

/, Box Elder County, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Utah/Ruby-crowned Kinglet – Just A Tiny Bird On A Stick Photo

Tiny Ruby-crowned Kinglet on a stick, Box Elder County, UtahTiny Ruby-crowned Kinglet on a stick – Nikon D500, f7.1, 1/2500, ISO 640, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

I had a very frustrating morning in the field yesterday and even though I really didn’t feel like going through all of the images that I took I did look at a few and I selected this photo to share today.

This Ruby-crowned Kinglet had been actively foraging in a tamarisk when suddenly it flew to this bare stick and perched out in the open for a few seconds. I liked the bokeh of the background and the muted colors that the tamarisk provided, the pose of the bird and the nice light. The kinglet is small in the frame and I think that by having it this small in the frame it accentuates how tiny this species actually is.

So that is it for this morning, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, just a tiny bird on a stick.

Note: Tamarisk, also known as salt cedar, is an introduced and invasive shrub that originates from Eurasia and Africa. Tamarisks form dense thickets which crowd out native vegetation. Native vegetation provides better habitat for our native birds and animals.

1. Marty K September 20, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Very cool shot today. The stick adds to the delicate nature of the bird.

2. Patty Chadwick September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm

A lot cuter than a “dog on a stick” (hot dog)…

3. Greg Gillson September 20, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Yes, I really like the small in frame composition and positioning.

For years I have tended to crop everything closely for “documentation” purposes and only recently started working on any “artistic” sense.

This photo really lends itself to an artistic expression. Thus please forgive this amateur and unsolicited opinion on how one might make it better.

I might have cropped it a touch more closely, trimming out the one branch tip touching the upper right edge of frame. It is more in focus than the rest of the background and competes for attention slightly.

What do you think?

4. Elephants Child September 20, 2018 at 1:11 pm

I am very grateful for your ‘tiny bird on a stick’. Thank you.

5. Cindy September 20, 2018 at 10:32 am

Like a watercolor world Mia. Love your tiny bird on a stick. 🙂

6. Trudy Brooks September 20, 2018 at 6:38 am

What a cute little bird, and so colorful to see this morning. Thanks for the posting.

7. Ken Schneider September 20, 2018 at 6:06 am

The blank space (though not truly blank due to the beautiful bokeh and soft texture) provides nice balance to this composition.