Great Horned Owlet in a granary window

/, Glacier County, Great Horned Owls, Montana/Great Horned Owlet in a granary window

Fledgling Great Horned Owl in a granary windowFledgling Great Horned Owl in a granary window – Nikon D200, tripod mounted, f7.1, 1/125, ISO 320, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited

I had forgotten about this file, it was taken three years ago yesterday. The Great Horned Owlet was resting in the window of and old granary in Glacier County, Montana in the golden light of early morning. This owlet was younger than its siblings, it was smaller and hadn’t started to get its ear tufts yet. There is something very appealing to me about owls perching on old, weather worn wood.

I’m extremely fond of owls, it might be their forward facing eyes that draws me to them. Of course I love all birds but to me owls are special.

1. Prairie Birder June 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Beautiful photo, Mia! The light is lovely!

2. Tammy Karr June 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Such a captivating photo! Owls are my favorite species as well!

3. Julie Brown June 24, 2013 at 3:30 pm

The light is wonderful, as are the tones and texture of the wood.

4. Cheryl Valdez June 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Wonderful picture of this little guy. Hope to get lucky some day and be in the right place at the right time and catch a photo of an owl.

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Cheryl, I hope you get to photograph an owl soon! Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment.

5. Susan Stone June 24, 2013 at 11:49 am

I have never gotten into owls, perhaps because I’ve not seen them in the wild. However, I do love birds (except perhaps the brown-headed cowbird), and this little guy is a real charmer. I love this photo.

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Susan, when you do see an owl in the wild it will steal your heart. They are amazing & wonderful! Thanks much for your comment.

6. Nicole June 24, 2013 at 9:59 am

they are my favorite too!! thank you for the beautiful photos!

7. Lynn Koch June 24, 2013 at 9:29 am

This is a wonderful composition, Mia. I love this baby with his beautiful feathering and tiny wings. I love Owls too.

8. M. Firpi June 24, 2013 at 9:12 am

This is a very harmonious composition with golden colours and light predominating and creating a warm and soothing mood for the senses.

9. Patty chadwick June 24, 2013 at 8:06 am

Poetry in browns…love the contrast in textures between the softness of the feathers and the rich browns of the weathered wood, then the stark contrast of the dark window…I can almost feel the heft of that bird…kinesthetic memory. Raised one myself,…zoo keeper who gave him to me was given 2 orphans, he gave me one…told me to capture mice and sparrows, but I couldn’t so got chicken livers, gizzards and necks from a live poultry store and sweepings (hair) from a barber…loved to hear him whinny….had to make “toys” to teach him to hunt. It worked. He became a big, healthy bird…with VERY SHARP talons and the world’s worst case of bad breath. Love the sleepy look, too…sure brings back memories. Wonderful composition.

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm

It must have been amazing to raise the owl Patty! Thanks for sharing your story and for your comment.

10. Julie G. June 24, 2013 at 7:15 am

Exceptional photograph of this young owl! Terrific composition. I especially like the textures of the wood-grained boards compared to the soft patterned feathers of the owl.

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Thank you Julie, the rich tones in the old wood and the owl are a delight, and the contrast between the hard wood and soft fluffy feathers makes for a textural wonder for me.

11. Elephant's Child June 24, 2013 at 4:09 am

I share your love of owls. They are beautiful, mysterious and in my world at anyrate rare. Years back we watched a David Attenborough program about owls. The program finished and we heard a noise outside. There on the clothesline was an ENORMOUS owl. Which, sadly we never saw again. Just the same it is a memory I hug to myself.
    I love the plumage on the owl – and it tones in beautifully with that warm and weathered wood.

• Mia McPherson June 25, 2013 at 12:33 pm

EC, I wonder if your outside owl heard the owls on the TV and that it might have brought the owl closer to your home. Owls are simply fascinating. Thanks for your comment.