Ferocious Ferruginous

/, Ferruginous Hawks, Utah, Utah County/Ferocious Ferruginous

Ferocious FerruginousFerocious Ferruginous – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 400, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR, natural light, not baited or set up

I think all raptors have a ferocious appearance but this Ferruginous Hawk definitely looked ferocious to me yesterday right after it lifted off from its perch high on a pole. I saw several Red-tailed and Swainson’s Hawks yesterday along with a few Turkey Vultures, American Kestrels and a lone Golden Eagles soaring high on a thermal in a bluebird sky and the best images I took were of this Ferruginous Hawk.

When I first looked at the image I wished that I would have had more space at the bottom; and could add canvas, but after looking at it again and again I decided I quite like the tension created by the hawk being close to the edge of the frame.

1. Lois Bryan September 5, 2014 at 10:47 pm

D810????? What did I miss????? Shall we break open a bottle of da bubbly????? Or a beer????? Great, great shot, as always!!!!!!

2. Elephant's Child September 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Wow. The tension and the power are almost palpable. Thank you. Again.

3. Utahbooklover September 5, 2014 at 10:49 am

This large buteo is a favorite of mine and the off-balance of the image is different and edgy. I wonder where you were yesterday to see such a great variety of birds.

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2014 at 10:54 am

Utahbooklover, I was in Utah County, west of Lehi. Thank you 🙂

4. Patty Chadwick September 5, 2014 at 8:33 am

Back again…WHY don’t you post more of your AMAZING botanicals???????

• Mia McPherson September 5, 2014 at 9:09 am

Patty, I photographed most of my botanicals years ago, I am so focused on birds now that I don’t take many images of flora. I hope to focus more on them next spring though.

5. Patty Chadwick September 5, 2014 at 8:31 am

I love your animal, bird and landscape images, but you flower photos are incomparable!!! Example:your flame hibiscus….WOW WEE!!!