Wilson’s Plover at sunrise

Wilson's Plover at sunriseWilson’s Plover at sunrise – Nikon D200, handheld, f5.6, 1/1000, ISO 400, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 400mm, natural light

A few days ago when I posted an American Oystercatcher I mentioned that some shorebirds were year round residents at Fort De Soto and that others were migrants. Wilson’s Plovers are year round residents that I photographed every month of the year while I lived in Florida. Wilson’s Plovers nest at Fort De Soto and I have been fortunate to see and photograph their young (from a respectful distance of course).

Killdeer and Wilson’s Plovers look similar in appearance but Wilson’s Plovers have a single breast band and Killdeer have two. Killdeer are also larger.

The tide was out the morning I photographed this Wilson’s Plover just after the sun had come up. There are some photographers that would have passed on photographing this plover because they don’t care for the muddy setting but I love to photograph birds in their natural settings even if that includes mud. It is their habitat.

I was covered in mud after laying in the mudflat to photograph this Wilson’s Plover and I didn’t mind a bit.

Another shorebird to honor World Shorebirds’ Day.

I’m probably watching the sunrise in a the wilderness. Feel free to share!

1. CJ Oakley September 10, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Mia – the mudflats are fantastic – I totally agree with your stance on bird photography. Where they are – doing what they do. I would love to paint this Wilson’s plover in among those flats – it’s an amazing setting and a fab shot…

2. Elephant's Child September 10, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Love it. And am reminded of a poem my father recited to us (often).
    Mud, mud, glorious mud,
    There’s nothing quite like it for cooling the blood,
    So follow me, follow
    Down to the hollow
    Where we will wallow
    In mud, glorious mud!

• Utahbooklover September 10, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Just had to look this up and found it was a song from 1960, which you can hear performed by the writers: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=9851

• Elephant's Child September 11, 2014 at 12:46 am

Thank you so much. Memories came flooding back. And my quotes were’t too far out either…

3. Patty Chadwick September 10, 2014 at 11:28 am

Cute, cyrvy bird…love the mud, but bet you didn’t like it nearly as much….

4. Utahbooklover September 10, 2014 at 10:39 am

I can hardly believe you were “covered in mud after laying in the mudflat to photograph this Wilson’s Plover” and didn’t mind a bit. The resulting image is outstanding Mia! Thank you.

5. Stu September 10, 2014 at 7:37 am

Excellent Shot Mia. These types of shots are your best work I think overall..

6. Sherry in Mt September 10, 2014 at 7:05 am

I agree with photographing all animals in their natural habitat and that isn’t always “picture perfect” for some! Have you ever noticed how many shorebirds have lovely soft round eyes. I just really was struck by that in this photo. Yes I need to pay more attention! LOL

7. Bob Bushell September 10, 2014 at 3:28 am

Great piece of photography Mia.