Morning light on Flaming Gorge

Morning light on Flaming GorgeMorning light on Flaming Gorge – Nikon D200, handheld, f8, 1/500, ISO 400, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 18-200mm VR at 65mm, natural light

How could anyone look at this view of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir and the red sandstone cliffs being lit by the morning sun and not feel joy? I know that even though there were clouds moving in that messed up photographing Ospreys a little while later I couldn’t help but feel the timeless beauty of this area touch me.

For a few moments I was transported back to 1869 when John Wesley Powell first set his eyes on this wonderful area and I wonder what he thought of this colorful area of Utah. The dam didn’t exist then and the reservoir didn’t come until much later but those towering red cliffs certainly did.

But that thought quickly slipped away and I photographed this grand view with a lone fisherman out on the water. It was quiet, peaceful and a delight.

1. Humming Bird Lover March 27, 2015 at 9:43 am

Hi! Great Photo’s ! I envy you the great places and photo’s you are able to take! not really honey! Grab the brass ring and do and get all you can out of life! It is to short and in this world today do it now as we never know when it will end?? We only have this minute now!

Live life to its fullest!!!

2. Utahbooklover March 23, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Southern Utah is a favorite place for me to visit too. Nice image.

3. Elephant's Child March 23, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Joy and wonder (and curiosity) are gifts which keep on giving aren’t they?
    Mornings are so often magical and flaming gorge is sublime. I suspect it is also special (very) at the other end of the day.

4. Stu March 23, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Wonder Full .. ie your photos fill me with wonder. There are a zillion great nature photographers out there ( I counted them one day when it was raining 😉 , yet you have a gift Mia for trapping the SOUL of the subject/location in your images,, ( that costs $29 ,, I do have other cheaper compliments 😉

5. Susan Stone March 23, 2015 at 11:07 am

I love Flaming Gorge, and this picture shows it beautifully. I agree wholeheartedly with the question you posed.

6. Wally March 23, 2015 at 10:06 am

Mia,

Your spectacular photograph has the look of an oil painting. Truly appropriate as you have elevated the mechanical process of “picture taking” to an art form!

Yep, a feeling of joy is accurate. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your talents.

— Wally In Wet Florida