Pronghorn Fawns Cause Me Cuteness Overload

/, Davis County, Pronghorn, Utah/Pronghorn Fawns Cause Me Cuteness Overload

A pair of Pronghorn fawnsA pair of Pronghorn fawns – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

I can’t resist Pronghorn fawns, well maybe I can, but I don’t want to and won’t! I saw three fawns close together yesterday on Antelope Island State Park and they put me into cuteness overload.

A Pronghorn fawn in front of RabbitbrushA Pronghorn fawn in front of Rabbitbrush – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/2000, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

The fawns are a couple of weeks old now and still a bit timid but these little babies are curious about the world around them too.

A Pronghorn doe keeping an eye on three fawnsA Pronghorn doe keeping an eye on three fawns – Nikon D810, f9, 1/1250, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

This doe was keeping an eye on the little ones even while she nibbled on the grasses. There were two other does in the area that were just a bit further away.

Young Pronghorn fawns running side by sideYoung Pronghorn fawns running side by side – Nikon D810, f8, 1/1000, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

Then two of the fawns decided to make a break for it from the shade of a sagebrush and dashed across the dried up cheatgrass towards the does.

Pronghorn fawn rushing towards a doePronghorn fawn rushing towards a doe – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

Then the third one followed after them and gave me this wonderful pose right in front of two blooming Moth Mulleins.

1. Utahbooklover June 23, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Love these images — especially the first one. A special treat to see young Pronhorn.

2. Elephant's Child June 22, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Awww.
    Thank you.

3. Alex (stu) June 22, 2015 at 10:52 am

Aww Man.. such faces. Big Eyes and Smiles..

4. Jane Chesebrough June 22, 2015 at 10:28 am

This time of year is so wonderful with the appearance of the young ones. The mother is the epitome of the calm loving mother image (before she gets that “harried” look) happy summer solstice!

5. Patty Chadwick June 22, 2015 at 8:16 am

I had just lost my job to one of the new boss’s buddy’s and, out of the blue, an old, friend called and invited us to share a wilderness camp with them. Every morning, I rose early and watch a harried white-tailed doe try to keep track of her triplets as they bucked, dashed and raced, in all directions, through the dew-soaked fern beds just below the cabin. It was the perfect “medicine” for my sore heart. Seeing these are great timing….

• Utahbooklover June 23, 2015 at 3:21 pm

When one door is closed another is open. Can’t beat the healing power of nature!

6. Susan Stone June 22, 2015 at 6:52 am

These pictures give a perfect dose of cuteness. I’ve not had a chance to see the babies in person, but I did have an encounter with an adult male, which I will long remember. We saw him as we were driving down the road (somewhere in Wyoming), turned around to see if we could get some photos, and he stayed put until I was done photographing him. As I turned to get back into the car, he turned and casually trotted off. That was a privileged moment.