Male Yellow Warbler and Aspens in the Uinta National Forest

/, Cascade Springs, Uinta National Forest, Utah, Wasatch County, Yellow Warblers/Male Yellow Warbler and Aspens in the Uinta National Forest

Male Yellow Warbler and AspensMale Yellow Warbler and Aspens – Nikon D810, f9, 1/640, ISO 400, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

Yellow Warblers are so bright it is not hard to see them as they flit around gleaning insects from the trees in the Uinta National Forest. The trick is… getting them to sit still long enough out in the open to focus and fire off a few shots before they fly away. I was able to get 21 images of the bright beauty yesterday before it flew away, I think that is my new record for this species!

A sun-colored bird on a sunny day in the cool mountains during the summer. What a delight.

1. Jane Chesebrough July 12, 2015 at 1:40 pm

I still haven’t got them to sit still long enough this year. They have such a big voice for such a tiny bird.One of my favourites to arrive in May.

2. Stu July 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Excellent as always Mia

3. Utahbooklover July 10, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Delightful image on a beautiful Friday. However, I have mixed feelings today over selling my five-year old Vespa. Still undecided whether to replace it or not.

4. Elephant's Child July 10, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Another charmer. And a wonderful lift to a grey day here. Thank you.

5. Ilze Long July 10, 2015 at 9:05 am

Know exactly what you mean by tricky photography of the little guys! Hawks etc., are easy in comparison.
    But when you do get a decent picture or two, such a sense of joy!

6. Patty Chadwick July 10, 2015 at 8:36 am

Mia! You captured a liitle chunk of sunshine sitting on an Aspen branch…what a great way to start the day! I love this image! Love the colors, shapes, context of the leaves as a background. I was backpacking in the Adirondacks in cold, dreary weather..my spirits were down around my boot tops. Then, as I leaned my pack back against a tree to rest, a Yellow Warbler came flitting through the brush toward me, checked me out, then started searching for food, completely unafraid. Bright yellow, with vertical red stripes, it seemed as if the sun had come out. My gloomy mood improved mmediately…