Farewell to 2015 – Owl See You in 2016

/, Box Elder County, Burrowing Owls, Utah/Farewell to 2015 – Owl See You in 2016

A relaxed Burrowing Owl juvenile on a water troughA relaxed Burrowing Owl juvenile on a water trough – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 320, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

2015 has been a simply wonderful year. Sure there have been bumps in the road for me but there have been many joys and accomplishments too.

I don’t know how many hours I have spent in the field photographing birds and wildlife this year but I know that every moment has been special and I treasure that. I’ve grown as a photographer, a wildlife advocate and as a person.

I remember well the day I photographed this juvenile Burrowing Owl in Box Elder County this past July. It was scorching hot and the mosquitoes were ravenous but as I sat alone with my window of my Jeep down taking images of this young owl I felt connected to something much deeper than myself. You might even say I felt the pulse of nature and through it the world. Any time a person can do that it is what makes life good.

I wanted to thank all of you who read my blog and share your thoughts, insights and knowledge with me and the other people who come to my web site. You are all a gift I treasure. Thank you.

Owl See You in 2016.

Please check out the Burrowing Owl Conservation Network which has changed its name to the Urban Bird Foundation. They are doing great work for Burrowing Owl conservation. Their new vision is “Birds. People. Communities. A better, sustainable living for all.

1. Ilze Long January 4, 2016 at 7:17 am

Happy 2016 and may you have many hours of wildlife, good light, good health and pleasure.
    I look forward to your posts and admire your photographs and world view.
    And, life IS good.
    Ilze Long

2. Mia McPherson January 1, 2016 at 5:53 am

Thank you ALL for your wonderful comments. Dawn has broken and 2016 has begun. I wish you all joy, happiness, light and love.

Happy New Year!

3. Deborah January 1, 2016 at 12:23 am

A very fitting play on words for you Mia.
    I’m so glad I discovered your blog. I love seeing your wonderful photographs and hearing of your adventures while out and about making these great pictures.
    I wish for you a Happy, Healthy and blessed New Year.
    –Deborah

4. Charlotte (Prairie Birder) December 31, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing your new photos.

5. Patty Chadwick December 31, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Happy New Year, Mia, from a devoted Bad — “cell mate” …thanks for making a rotten year more bearable with your sense of humor, unswayable devotion to our environment and its inhabitants, especially the little feathered ones, and your beautiful, inspiring pictures. You’re a straightshooter and much appreciated by this falling apart old lady. My New Year wish is that you could be cloned…many times over!!! How nice to end this year with a chuckle…Burrowing owls are ALWAYS good for one….or more!

6. Elephant's Child December 31, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Thank you so much.
    2016 has landed here. I hope it brings love, laughter and birds to you.

7. Fern Culhane December 31, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Thank you Mia!
    My life is richer because of your images and thoughts!

8. Utahbooklover December 31, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for your devotion and all your hard work Mia. We learn so much from you!

9. M. Bruce December 31, 2015 at 11:26 am

All the best for the new Year Mia! Your straight forward, energetic approach to your art has been a continual inspiration for my own efforts, and I thank you for taking the time and effort to share not only your superior images, but for expressing your appreciation for the miracles we are attempting to observe.

10. Neil Rossmiller December 31, 2015 at 8:35 am

Happy New Year, Mia
    I wish you the best in 2016 and thank you for being part of our lives.
    Perhaps our paths will cross in the coming year.

11. Liz Cormack December 31, 2015 at 8:20 am

Happy New Year to you, Mia. I’ve learned so much from you re wildlife & photography. Thank you. I’m looking forward to your photos of 2016.

12. Catherine December 31, 2015 at 7:30 am

Thank you for the beautiful owl, and also thanks for the links. I manage our local Audubon chapter’s website, and I’m always looking for more bird-related news.

Happy New Year to you. May it be birdy and joyful!

13. Nancy Collins December 31, 2015 at 6:52 am

Thanks for sharing yourself and your beautiful images with us Mia! Happy New Year!

14. Kathy Hunt December 31, 2015 at 6:43 am

Happy New, Year. And thank you, I enjoy learning about birds from your blog.

15. Bob Mcpherson December 31, 2015 at 6:07 am

Beautiful photos Mia. Love your Owl passion.

16. Bob Bushell December 31, 2015 at 6:02 am

Have a beautiful new year 2016.

17. Jo Ann Donnelly December 31, 2015 at 5:55 am

Hope your 2016 is as rewarding as 2015 has been for you, Mia!! Thank you for your photographic gift that brings the wonderful world of our wildlife to us, your followers!!!! Happy New Year!!