Swainson’s Hawk Pooping While Perched on a Fence Post

/, Box Elder County, Swainson's Hawks, Utah/Swainson’s Hawk Pooping While Perched on a Fence Post

Adult Swainson's Hawk poopingAdult Swainson’s Hawk pooping – Nikon D810, f9, 1/800, ISO 400, +.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

It has been a poopy week for me. I’ve only gone out into the field twice, it has been very hot and the air has been filled with smoke from the wildfires in northern Utah. The two times I have gone out the birds have been few and far between. I’ve had issues that I worked on for nearly two solid days that could have been solved with one freaking box being checked and a “save” button pushed. I’ve had internet issues that made me want to yank my hair out. It has just been plain poopy.

This image was taken in May on a far less poopier day while I was on my way to meet a friend and fellow bird photographer in Box Elder County.

So what better image to end my week of published posts with than a Swainson’s Hawk pooping while perched on a fence post in northern Utah? I can’t think of one.

Life is poopy at times but it does get better.

1. Elephant's Child August 6, 2016 at 3:40 pm

I hope the poop is gone now. Stunning image.

2. suzanne Mcdougal August 6, 2016 at 10:58 am

I sincerely, and almost identically feel your pain for shooting this week. The smoke, the technical issues. Yep. The difference is that your pictures are still stunning. In the vernacular of my students, “You, da shiz,” Mia McPherson.

3. Linda Laugen August 6, 2016 at 10:15 am

This bird looks like he has seen you and is thinking, “Ya wanna make something of it?” Our family actually had bald eagle help in training a granddaughter. There was a video of an eaglet pooping from a tree branch, and our sweetie pie thought that was very funny! So we would ask her, “Where does an eagle poop?” And then, “Where do YOU poop?” TA-DAH! It worked – some of the time! But I digress – the photo and astute dew-in–the-meadow observations are marvelous, poop notwithstanding! Certainly a unique photo offering! Mia – do you get tried of all the accolades?? LOL!

4. Patty Chadwick August 6, 2016 at 10:01 am

It does look as if that bird has been hunting in wet grass, judging from damp-looking breast and “britches”…a beautiful, healthy-looking bird…

5. April Olson August 6, 2016 at 8:35 am

Oh poop!
    Beautiful Photo. The hawk’s feathers look wet on its abdomen and legs. it must have been in the wet field hunting.

6. Jan goddefroy August 6, 2016 at 7:23 am

When they poop it is sign they are going to take off. And pooping is healthy -how many times they asked me this question during last two weeks in hospital !

7. Bob mcpherson August 6, 2016 at 6:23 am

Cool photo, Mia.

8. Roger Burnard August 6, 2016 at 6:11 am

Good timing, good reflexes… Ha. It is just amazing that you find so many Raptors,
    and Owls on your journeys afield, and then continue to get all these beautiful images.
    Very different from your time in Florida, but with equally amazing wildlife. Great shot. ;-)))