American White Pelican Dumping a Load in Flight

American White Pelican defecating while in flightAmerican White Pelican defecating while in flight – Nikon D500, f7.1, 1/2500, ISO 320, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

Yesterday I shared a few of the wading birds I saw on my last trip up to Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge and today I am sharing photos of an American White Pelican I photographed on the same day. I was waiting and watching for Forster’s Terns to fly by and a few pelicans took off from the north and flew in close enough to photograph in flight. A couple of the pelicans flew in small groups of three and four and a few flew by themselves. It is always hard to get all of these large white birds sharp in a group so a few times I opted to focus on the single birds because it is by far easier to get one bird sharp.

When I focused on this bird I didn’t know I’d be photographing an American White Pelican dumping a load while flying over the marshes at the refuge with the Promontory Mountains in the background. This is a great example of why people should keep their mouths closed when these white pelicans fly directly over our heads though!

American White Pelican pooping while in flightAmerican White Pelican pooping while in flight – Nikon D500, f7.1, 1/2500, ISO 320, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

I took five frames of this American White Pelican pooping in flight before it stopped relieving itself and continued its flight to the southeast. These aren’t spectacular photos but I always find pooping bird photos a bit funny and of course these images do document natural behavior.

Bombs away!

1. Pepe Forte September 12, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Great shots Mia. Too bad he’s not flying over Congress. Thanks.

2. Marty K September 12, 2017 at 1:11 pm

When ya gotta go, ya gotta go! 😉

• Elephants Child September 12, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Just what I was thinking. And it gives me another good reason to long to be able to fly. I can think of several people I would like to bomb that way.

3. Patty Chadwick September 12, 2017 at 11:02 am

Sorry for double comments…the evil one is doing all kinds of wierd things…especially since my grandaughter “fixed” it…

4. Patty Chadwick September 12, 2017 at 11:00 am

A canada goose pooped on my opponent.who was wearing her brand new tennis sweater during a tennis match…now THAT was really funny to me, especially since I won….when our rescue/rehab, Jack the grack(le) pooped on me when I was dressed up for an appointment and didn’t have time ti change, it wasn’t funny. Poop is all in the eye of the beholder…..

• Laura Culley September 12, 2017 at 10:31 pm

HAHA Patty! Into each life, a little poop must fall 😉

5. Patty Chadwick September 12, 2017 at 11:00 am

6. Laura Culley September 12, 2017 at 9:44 am

April, that’s funny since we all enjoy poop talk in one way or another 🙂 As a falconer, I’ve learned so much more about poop than I ever thought possible! Now, I’m channeling my grandmother–have you pooped today? LOL!
    And yes, I laughed, hard, on these photos. I love white pelicans (and brown ones, too), but pooping on the wing is just showing off to us lowly humans! LOL!

7. April Olson September 12, 2017 at 7:13 am

My co-worker would be moaning in agony. She hates “poop” talk. I guess I never grew up I laughed.

8. Liz Cormack September 12, 2017 at 5:28 am

I started laughing just seeing the title of your blog today. The photos are worthy of laughter. Great timing & great photos.