Canada Geese and How Their Calls Signal a Change of Seasons For Me

/, Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, Box Elder County, Canada Geese, Salt Lake County, Utah/Canada Geese and How Their Calls Signal a Change of Seasons For Me

Canada Goose portraitCanada Goose portrait – Nikon D500, f13, 1/200, ISO 320, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

There are lots of Canada Geese near where I live in part because of the grassy golf course that is not too far away and because of the Jordan River and several small ponds that are just down the hill. I’m sure that some people don’t care for the geese because of their droppings which can be messy and the fact that they can be aggressive when they have young. Some bird photographers ignore them but I can’t.  Or I won’t because they are birds and I am passionate about all of them.

After Canada Geese nest and rear their young they go through an annual molt which means they have a flightless period of about 4 to 5 weeks and during that time I don’t see the geese flying overhead or hear their flight calls.

Canada Geese flying in front of the Promontory MountainsCanada Geese flying in front of the Promontory Mountains – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 400, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

Then when they have finished molting, can fly again and I do hear them flying overhead I realize that I have missed their honking calls, that a big part of the summer has passed, that mornings are getting cooler again and that before long the oaks in the mountains will start to turn red. It is almost as if the change of seasons have crept up on me and I find it funny how a sound I hear basically year round with the exception of a few weeks during the summer can trigger thoughts of frosty mornings and fall migration.

Yesterday morning I had the window open to let in some fresh air while I worked at my computer and heard the Canada Geese calling as they flew by before the first light of the sun had reached the valley and I smiled, I couldn’t help it. We might still have temps in the 90’s, some even reaching into the 100 degree range but I am beginning to hear the sounds of changing seasons.

1. Elephants Child August 9, 2017 at 5:07 pm

I am so glad to be able to see this post which I missed yesterday. Thank you so much for sharing the wonders.

2. Barbara Talbot August 9, 2017 at 10:12 am

When I was young, it was quite rare to see Canadian geese in Utah. Now they are everywhere! I still find them fascinating because of the thrill I felt when seeing them as a child. Beautiful photos, as always.

3. Patty Chadwick August 8, 2017 at 1:05 pm

I agree with April…when I hear “common” I cringe a little…because it makes me think about passenger pigeons… That’s a beautiful portrait of a very beautiful bird…I love their blend of subtle colors…p

4. Laura Culley August 8, 2017 at 10:47 am

Wonderful post Mia! As I grew up in Akron, Ohio, the sweet calls of robins signaled that spring lurked in the background of winter and that soon, the mostly-dreary skies would clear and spring would be here again. Winter would linger for a while longer, but we would have survived another winter. I’m not sure what bird calls will resonate with me here. Perhaps it will be the quail. Not sure yet.

5. April Olson August 8, 2017 at 9:11 am

I still love this photo, I am very attracted to those soft brown eyes. We have to be careful about what we think as common, they may still disappear if we don’t take care to prevent their habitat loss .

6. Laura Markley August 8, 2017 at 6:29 am

Beautiful photo. I also love the sound of the Canada geese honking when they fly overhead. There are some ponds and farm fields near me that they like. I never get tired of seeing them circle the pond before landing. I want to let you know that i do not comment enough, but i always enjoy reading your blog and seeing your beautiful photos.

7. wendy chapman August 8, 2017 at 5:28 am

The flight photo is beautiful both in composition, the environment, and the feeling of the season you enjoy. Lovely work.