Mule Deer Doe Blur

Mule Deer doe blurMule Deer doe blur – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/100, ISO 640, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 221mm, natural light

I don’t intentionally try to take images that are blurs but some times in low light situations that cause slow shutter speeds I do end up with images that are blurred. For my tastes I want to have at least the eyes sharp and having the head sharp is a bonus.

In this frame the eyes, head and neck are in focus but I am not sure if the image quite works for me. When I spotted this Mule Deer doe standing in the golden light on the Antelope Island causeway I thought I would take a few static images of her but as soon as we stopped the doe began to run so I fired off a burst of shots as I panned her movement and knew they would be blurred, out of the 10 or so images I took only this one had the sharpness in the eyes and face that I look for.

Maybe this is the kind of image that grows on me or doesn’t after a while, I guess I’ll see!

1. Mia McPherson July 29, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Thanks for all of your thoughts and comments on this image, I’m glad I posted it.

2. eric c11 July 24, 2013 at 12:37 am

excellent picture with the focus on rigth place, and a bit of move around, well done mia =)))

3. Utahbooklover July 23, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Beautiful image — I especially like the water background. Thanks for sharing Mia.

4. Sheila July 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I think this image works, because of the look of the ground. Looks like a reflection. Perhaps if the ground was a solid green, it would not work as well. I like this image, pretty colors.

5. Elephant's Child July 23, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I really like the mixture of sharp focus and the blur of movement. Best of both worlds…

6. M. Firpi July 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

I definitely like panning, and you caught this mule deer with a nice galloping motion; and a very sharp face.

7. Lynn Koch July 23, 2013 at 8:41 am

This is a lovely photograph, Mia. They are such beautiful animals and so skittish.

8. patty chadwick July 23, 2013 at 7:24 am

Nice shot, Mia! Blur shows motion yet is clear enough to see quite a bit of detail…head shot with those big, muley ears is really nice…I like the contrast of sharp to blur…might be wort repeating in certain circumstances.

9. kim July 23, 2013 at 6:19 am

I’m finding it interesting to think how she must have been moving for only her head and neck to be focussed. Ah, now I’ve checked your setting and guess it might be partly to do with DOF. Your panning skills are amazing to have captured this pretty little deer in motion.

10. Dan Huber July 23, 2013 at 4:32 am

Very nice shot Mia, I think the blurred hind quarters also help show it’s motion.

11. Bob Bushell July 23, 2013 at 4:09 am

A Mule Deer, the first I have seen of that, well done Mia.