Western Meadowlark Chorus on Antelope Island

/, Birds, Davis County, Utah, Western Meadowlarks/Western Meadowlark Chorus on Antelope Island

Landing Western MeadowlarkLanding Western Meadowlark – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/2000, ISO 500, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

Yesterday there was a springtime chorus being sung almost every where on Antelope Island and the flute-like melody of the Western Meadowlarks resonated the loudest. Our warm temperatures and plentiful sunshine have the males singing on their territories hoping to attract mates.

The meadowlark above was perched on a tintic quartzite boulder on the east side of the island singing with the Great Salt Lake in the background. The meadowlark leaped up from its position about one foot into the air and then landed on the boulder again and I captured it landing. I am not sure what that behavior means but found it very interesting.

I added a little bit of canvas in Photoshop on the left side of the frame for composition, I wanted to be sure and disclose that.

Singing Western MeadowlarkSinging Western Meadowlark – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/2500, ISO 500, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

After the leap and landing the meadowlark sang on the boulder for several minutes before taking flight.

Western Meadowlarks are year round residents of Antelope Island but during harsh winters they do migrate to the southern part of their range. This has not, by any means, been a harsh winter in northern Utah so I have seen meadowlarks all winter long. I do hope that if the meadowlarks and other birds nest early that we won’t get a cold snap that causes the loss of eggs or chicks.

1. Mia McPherson February 24, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Thank you all for your comments!

2. phil davies February 14, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I love the photo of the first pic of the meadow lark with its wings spread. I’ve noticed you turn your iso up and shoot with a high shutter speed the images are crystal clear. I’ve always shot with my lowest iso because I thought my photos would be grainy with a high iso I’m going to try your technique out now.

3. Wally February 14, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Wonderful series, Mia! Our Eastern Meadowlarks have been so happy to be in sunny Florida this winter we hear them singing every day we’re out. What a terrific combination of color and sound!

Thanks for sharing your always high quality art!

4. Eve February 14, 2015 at 9:47 am

I often see WEME sitting on fences and every few minutes making short flutters into the air. Since they are singing at the same time, I always assumed it was a breeding behavior to let females who might be in the area know they are the one doing the singing, and also to try to show as much of that bright yellow breast as possible.

5. Patty Chadwick February 14, 2015 at 8:35 am

Interesting shot of wing structure in first…especially like second as I always think of these birds as singing with all their heart….

6. Liz Cormack February 14, 2015 at 8:12 am

Thank you for sharing your photos of birds in your spring-like conditions….as we deal with more snow in the east! The photos give me hope! 🙂

7. Bob Bushell February 14, 2015 at 5:38 am

Beautiful bird, love your position.