Bald Eagle landing on ice in a fog at Farmington Bay WMA

/, Bald Eagles, Birds, Davis County, Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, Utah, Wildlife Ethics/Bald Eagle landing on ice in a fog at Farmington Bay WMA

Bald Eagle landing on ice in a fogBald Eagle landing on ice in a fog – Nikon D200, f5.6, 1/320, ISO 400, +1.7 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 400mm, natural light, not baited

I dug up this Bald Eagle image from my archives yesterday while working on my new photo galleries and I realized I had never posted this photo here on my blog. During the winter Farmington Bay has a large population of overwintering Bald Eagles that migrate down from northern states and Canada. The weather during that time period can be very challenging to photograph in with heavy fog, falling snow, poor lighting conditions and the dreaded inversions.

During the time period that the eagles are at Farmington Bay WMA you can see eagles of all ages feeding on the invasive carp that are killed almost yearly to reduce the carp population.

Even though I had poor light, fog and a slow shutter speed when I took this Bald Eagle image I like the landing pose and the look of concentration of the eagle’s eyes. It is certainly not my best eagle image but I think it tells a story.

PS: I haven’t photographed Bald Eagles the last few years at Farmington Bay WMA because of the increase of people/photographers bringing in frozen turkeys and chickens to bait the eagles into more aesthetically pleasing locations and that goes against my personal ethics when it comes to bird and wildlife photography.

1. Elephant's Child October 19, 2015 at 12:36 pm

What a glorious sight. And oh those talons…

2. Deborah October 19, 2015 at 9:04 am

It’s just fabulous Mia!
    I’m so glad to know that we share the view on the UNETHICAL baiting by so many to “get the shot”.
    Sometimes I am even hesitant to like and comment on some wildlife/bird photographs, because they seem just a bit too “perfectly posed”.
    Thank you!

3. Liz Cormack October 19, 2015 at 8:07 am

Fabulous photo! My jaw dropped at the mention of people bringing in frozen turkeys & chickens to bait the eagles. Pathetic.

4. Patty Chadwick October 19, 2015 at 7:52 am

I just finished a long over due painting of a Bald Eagle– poised for a fish snatch…It was in lieu of paying money for a field mowing done LAST YEAR! A heart attack,stent , abcessed tooth extraction and removal of a cancerous lesion on my tongue all contrived to delay things…it felt so doggone good to finally complete the darned thing, get it under glas, and hand it over!!! Seeing your eagle makes me wish I’d done something with a similar pose….Oh, well!…..

• Utahbooklover October 19, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Good to know you survived all that and did get your painting done. Beautiful image Mia.

• Patty Chadwick October 21, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Thank you…it DID feel awfully good to get it done, underglass and hand it over… Like when you get a long-sought after bird, angle or image…

5. Patty Chadwick October 19, 2015 at 7:42 am

A beautiful image…love the position , implied power, focus and intent of the burd…also like your “related” series re: the Field Swallows….looks like a Blue bird house some are squabbling over….

6. Bob Mcpherson October 19, 2015 at 6:11 am

Beautiful image Mia. The Eagle is so impressive and means so much. Thanks for sharing that.