A Snow Storm and a Wandering Coyote Three Years Ago Today

/, Coyotes, Davis County, Utah/A Snow Storm and a Wandering Coyote Three Years Ago Today

Snowy weather aheadSnowy weather ahead – Nikon D200, f4.2, 1/2000,  ISO 320, +1.0 EV, Nikkor 18-200mm VR at 38mm, natural light

Three years ago today snow was falling in the Salt Lake Valley, Frary Peak on Antelope Island State Park was white and snow squalls were making their way over Farmington Bay WMA. Even though the light was cruddy I was out there trying to find birds or animals in the falling snow. I saw a Coyote on the island in driving snow but most of the birds were hunkered down trying to get through the weather.

A Coyote in fresh snowA Coyote in fresh snow – Nikon D300, f6.3, 1/2000,  ISO 1000, +0.7 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR at 328mm, natural light

Along the causeway on the way off of the island there was a single Coyote walking the shoreline in the snow looking for falcon leftovers. It did find two falcon kills and nibbled on those for a bit before heading east.

Coyote and snow along the causewayCoyote and snow along the causeway – Nikon D300, f8, 1/1600,  ISO 1000, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR at 400mm, natural light

There wasn’t as much snow along the causeway as there was at higher elevations on the island but I always enjoy being able to photograph coyotes and snow together. This winter I hope there is snow so I can do just that.

Weather map for October 25, 2015

Weather map for October 25, 2015

Today’s forecast is just as gray as it was three years ago but there won’t be snow in the valley. Just clouds.

But life is good.

1. Elephant's Child October 25, 2015 at 12:52 pm

You only have to watch birds and animals in extreme weather to realise that we are wimps. Whinging wimps at that.
    Love the coyote. Thank you.

2. Utahbooklover October 25, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Love the images. Glad the snow is holding off as we are still preparing the yard.

3. Bob Mcpherson October 25, 2015 at 10:38 am

Love the coyote pics, Mia. they are beautiful. Been through Utah many times in snowstorms, pretty to look at, but tough trucking sometimes.

4. Liz Cormack October 25, 2015 at 10:00 am

I love coyote photos…..beautiful.

5. Chris Rohrer October 25, 2015 at 9:33 am

Gorgeous Mia. I can only imagine what it must be like to see snow on that salt lake. That is truly a gem of an area. We are home and I think I will sleep in my bed the entire day:)

6. Cindy October 25, 2015 at 8:50 am

Stunning and a bit sad, the hard task of survival….for all. I grew up watching sunsets over Antelope Island. A beautiful part of the world. We DO need snow. Today is beautiful with the winds and leaves tossed about. Hoping we all get snow, Mia. 🙂

7. Patty Chadwick October 25, 2015 at 8:00 am

As usual, checked out your “related” series”. Love the coyotes in the snow….

8. Patty Chadwick October 25, 2015 at 7:57 am

That must have been one hungry fellow…even with his fur fluffed up against the cold, that’s not a very hefty animal…winter is so tough for them all…

9. Ian Holland October 25, 2015 at 7:20 am

I like thhe coyote shots, but you are aware that “Snow” is a four letter word?