Great Egret resting in snow at Farmington Bay WMA

/, Davis County, Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, Great Egrets, Utah/Great Egret resting in snow at Farmington Bay WMA

Great Egret resting in snowGreat Egret resting in snow – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/2500, ISO 320, +1.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

Great Egrets aren’t all that common in northern Utah but one has stuck around Farmington Bay for a bit this later this year than I expected. I was quite pleased to find this Great Egret resting in snow yesterday while I was photographing other birds at the WMA. I saw it land next to the water and I couldn’t get a clear view of it until it flew closer and was out in the open.

Our Great Blue and Black-crowned Night Herons on the WMA are year round residents but typically Great Egrets are migratory here in the Salt Lake Valley. I don’t know if this egret will stick around or fly further south for the winter. If it sticks around I hope that it will survive the harsh days and bitter cold nights.

Fresh snows covers Farmington Bay and the Wasatch RangeFresh snows covers Farmington Bay and the Wasatch Range – HTC One M8 cell phone

The fresh snow at Farmington Bay WMA was beautiful and formed a thick blanket of white over the marshes and the mountains of the Wasatch Range. It was nice to see a bit of blue sky too after several days of gloomy weather. Sure does look like a winter wonderland.

1. Mia McPherson December 17, 2015 at 11:07 am

Thanks Jo Ann, Liz, Cindy, Patty, EC, Utahbooklover and Lois.

Patty, my long distance vision is super and that is such a good thing for a bird photographer and anyone who photographs with me. I notice and spot birds many other people don’t see and with this egret I was able to keep track of it the whole time even though it was white on white.

2. Lois Bryan December 16, 2015 at 10:06 pm

These images are so very beautiful!!!!!!

3. Utahbooklover December 16, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Wonderful image. I too am enjoying the change in scene from all the snowfall.

4. Elephant's Child December 16, 2015 at 11:42 am

Love the egret – and your winter magic.

5. Patty Chadwick December 16, 2015 at 10:09 am

A beautiful image of a beautiful bird…so wonderfully camouflaged! Wonder if you’d had noticed it if you hadn’t seen it land. Probably would have…your eyes must be mighty well-trained by now. I hope it either migrates or finds enough food to survive the snowy cold ahead.

6. Liz Cormack December 16, 2015 at 8:27 am

The egrets here in the Niagara region of Canada/USA are gone as soon as there is a nip in the air. So, I find this photo so amazing that an egret would be around where there is snow. Ours must be wusses. I love the winter scene.

7. Cindy December 16, 2015 at 9:26 am

So perfectly blended into his environment, stark white, golden beak and golden bits of dried grass and leaves sticking out from the snow. Always beautiful images, Mia. We have lots of snow too here in Draper.

8. Jo Ann Donnelly December 16, 2015 at 6:12 am

As you know, Mia – Great White Egrets are very common in Southern Florida but I don’t care how common they are – I LOVE seeing them – especially in my own front or back yard. Therefore your portrait in white takes my breath away!! To think they were almost hunted out of existence for those beautiful white feathers. So enjoyed your capture of this elegant bird!!