A juvenile Northern Harrier in a fog at Farmington Bay

/, Davis County, Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, Northern Harriers, Utah/A juvenile Northern Harrier in a fog at Farmington Bay

A very foggy morning at Farmington Bay WMAA very foggy morning at Farmington Bay WMA – HTC One M8 cell phone pic

When I left home yesterday morning to head to Farmington Bay WMA there were mostly blue skies overhead and the sun was shining but when I got to Farmington Bay it was completely socked in with fog. At times I couldn’t see any further than 50 to 75 feet from the road because the fog was so dense. The image above was taken facing east at Unit 1 and beyond the curtain of fog and I know that there were eagles, gulls and waterfowl out on the ice but I sure couldn’t see them. I couldn’t even see the Wasatch Mountains.

A juvenile Northern Harrier in a fogA juvenile Northern Harrier in a fog – Nikon D810, f6.3, 1/4000, ISO 640, +1.7 EV, Nikon 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

I did spot a juvenile Northern Harrier in the fog resting on a clump of vegetation in the snow covered field on the east side of the road and took a few images of it.  I thought I would just delete the images but after I looked at them on my computer monitor I decided I liked a few of them because of the mood the fog gave the photos. The fog was fairly thick in the distance between the bird and myself but not so thick that I couldn’t focus on it. The birds that stay in the Great Salt Lake ecosystem during the winter are tough, they have to be to survive the harsh conditions.

Farmington Bay WMA as the fog clears outFarmington Bay WMA as the fog clears out – HTC One M8 cell phone pic

Before leaving Farmington Bay at around 11 am the fog had started to lift and I could see the Wasatch Range, the blue sky and snow covered marshes of the refuge.

1. Elephant's Child February 6, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Love the mystery and subtle beauty of the fog scenes. No less beautiful than the brighter ones.

2. April Olson February 6, 2016 at 10:49 am

I know fog is not the best for photography but I like being out at Farmington Bay in the fog. I like the muffled silence and the eerie silhouettes. Animals seem less jumpy and are easier to observe in the fog. Another bonus of fog, less people.

3. Liz Cormack February 6, 2016 at 8:01 am

I love “fog shots”……the Norther Harrier in the fog is wonderful.

4. Don February 6, 2016 at 7:53 am

Thanks for posting the shot of the harrier. We always want every shot to be perfect. But you brought us back to the beauty of the moment and the wondrous forces of nature.

5. Patty Chadwick February 6, 2016 at 7:04 am

I love these foggy images…they have such a soft, beautiful Asian quality to them…also love to see the landscape images. Those mountains were always a favorite!

6. Kathie February 6, 2016 at 6:57 am

Mia, such beauty surrounds you. It must have been a great day to be out there. I, too, like the moodiness of fog, though I would not want it around forever. How nice to see the harrier! You captured the feeling just perfectly and I love the view of the Wasatch Mountains.

7. Bob McPherson February 6, 2016 at 6:33 am

Beautiful images Mia. No wonder that you love it there.

8. Andrew McIntosh February 6, 2016 at 5:55 am

As usual Mia, you’ve inspired me. Every day, your posts are a part of my life. But today’s, with my special interest in Raptors, induced me to send you a quick thank you. The composition is wonderful.

• Mia McPherson February 6, 2016 at 5:56 am

Thank you Andrew! I’m so happy you enjoy my posts!