Adult Western Kingbird Close Up

Adult Western KingbirdAdult Western Kingbird Close Up – Nikon D7100, f9, 1/1600, ISO 500, +.7 EV, Nikkor 200-400mm VR with 1.4x TC at 300mm, natural light

Even though spring has arrived in northern Utah the weather is still very changeable and when I go out into the field to find birds I never quite know what I might see, especially when a weather front is coming in or has just passed. I do know that I keep my eyes wide open and my ears tuned in for familiar and unfamiliar sounds. You just never know what you might see.

I haven’t seen or heard kingbirds yet this year but I expect to see one any day now. I enjoy seeing kingbirds hawking for prey, building their nests and chasing other birds out of their territory. They are quite vocal and many times I hear them before I see them.

This adult Western Kingbird close up was photographed two years ago on Antelope Island State Park as it perched on a sign post close to a nest site. I can’t remember if it was looking for prey or keeping an eye on an intruder but I remember being grateful that it perched so close that I could see wonderful details in its plumage.

Spring is such an exciting time for me as a bird photographer because of the migrants that are trickling in to breed here or the ones that pass through heading much further north to their nesting grounds and it is a change of pace from all of the birds I photograph during the winter.

I did test out my D810 yesterday and everything worked perfectly, the only thing I needed to adjust after the repair was my diopter setting.

1. Utahbooklover March 28, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Lovely image Mia. Looking forward to their return soon.

2. Elephant's Child March 27, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Sublime.
    I am very glad your camera is back with you and working as it should.

3. Linda Laugen March 27, 2016 at 11:39 am

Another lovely photo – thanks so much! Your comments about birds out of their usual territory reminds me that around Christmas one year, across the St. Croix from Stillwater, MN (River Falls, WI), we saw an unusual ex-patriate. Friends faithfully feed birds (and squirrels) and provide heated water for all year ’round, and what to our wondering eyes should appear but a Varied Thrush – waaay out of territory (the north Pacific, I think!) We think it heard that this place was a good feed and wandered over!! It hung around Wisconsin for several days – and alas – the CAT got it! Aaargh! It was a thrill while it lasted!

4. Bob McPherson March 27, 2016 at 11:24 am

Beautiful image, Mia.

5. Liz Cormack March 27, 2016 at 10:21 am

I think your Western Kingbirds are more beautiful than our Eastern Kingbirds. Wonderful photo.

6. Patty Chadwick March 27, 2016 at 10:09 am

Beautiful image. HAPPY EASTER TO YOU AND RON….

7. Roger Burnard March 27, 2016 at 6:51 am

Another great capture Mia… Now go have a safe, and HAPPY EASTER… ;-)))