American Bison bull grazing on fresh grass

/, Antelope Island State Park, Davis County, Utah/American Bison bull grazing on fresh grass

Bison Bull showing sun bleached winter coatBison Bull showing sun bleached winter coat – Nikon D810, f6.3, 1/1000, ISO 400, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

It was beautiful yesterday on Antelope Island, the sun was shining plus the sky was clear and after days of rain that felt marvelous. Curlews and coyotes were calling, birds were singing from the top of bushes, pronghorn ran across the grasses and bison grazed on shoots of fresh green grass. Very soon the calving season of the bison will begin and there will be “little reds” next to the cows.

The bulls hang around this time of the year in small bachelor groups. While photographing some Long-billed Curlews I couldn’t help but notice this grazing Bison bull’s sun bleached winter coat. Soon it will shed that faded winter coat but I kind of like how the sun has lightened it and left that one dark streak on its back.

Springtime Bison bull head onSpringtime Bison bull head on – Nikon D810, f8, 1/640, ISO 400, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

I didn’t take many photos of this bull because I was more interested in the curlews but how could I pass on taking a head on shot of him? I simply couldn’t. As much as I love (or am addicted to) photographing birds I also love all things wild and wonderful.

American Bison bull grazing on fresh grassAmerican Bison bull grazing on fresh grass – Nikon D810, f8, 1/640, ISO 400, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

Seeing this Bison bull grazing on fresh grass isn’t an unusual occurrence for me because I see them so often on Antelope Island but I also realize that there are quite a few people who haven’t had the pleasure of seeing them in the wild like I do. They see them in zoos.

My life is good.

1. Elephant's Child April 2, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Such a majestic beast. And I don’t think even our zoos have them…

2. Jim Miller April 2, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I was in Oklahoma for a couple of years a while back, and visited the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve north of Tulsa, where they have a number of bison. I was astounded at how large the animals are. I was driving an SUV at the time, and a bull walked past me as I drove in. He and I were at eye-level as he passed. Magnificent animals–and huge. I love the photo with the flock of birds on the bison’s back.

3. April Olson April 2, 2016 at 9:32 am

No cowbirds hitching a ride yet?

4. Patty Chadwick April 2, 2016 at 8:17 am

Power on the hoof…thanks for providing us with such incredible close ups…

5. pennypinchadventure Tim Traver April 2, 2016 at 6:35 am

Mia,
    The reason I keep opening your posts and sending to junk mail a lot of others is that I feel like I am getting to know this magical place far away through your words and photos. Well done! And life really is good.

6. Glen A. Fox April 2, 2016 at 6:34 am

Mia,
    Your description of the conditions on Antelope Island yesterday reminds me of what I imagine a great day on the Canadian prairies must have been like in the 1800’s! Unfortunately there are only some very small patches left and the Bison are gone (but being introduced). As a prairie boy, your description brings tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. Thank you!

7. Brian White April 2, 2016 at 6:14 am

Wonderful photo! I enjoy your thankful and joyous attitude that you have towards your photography.
    Have a nice day. Brian

8. Bob McPherson April 2, 2016 at 5:54 am

Beautiful photos Mia. Dearly love the Buffalos.