Coyote Running On The Ice Of The Great Salt Lake

/, Coyotes, Davis County, Utah, Wildlife/Coyote Running On The Ice Of The Great Salt Lake

Coyote running on iceCoyote running on ice – Nikon D500, f7.1, 1/800, ISO 400, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited or called in

I love coyotes. I love hearing their calls, I love watching them hunt, and I love watching them run wild and free. I love seeing them any season of the year but especially in winter when they have their fluffy winter coats.  I’ve heard them calling the last couple of times I have been on Antelope Island State Park but they have been too far away to photograph yet I was thrilled just to hear them. I haven’t had a whole lot of luck photographing coyotes over the past year or more.

So I was excited and delighted to spot and photograph a coyote running on the ice of the Great Salt Lake a few days ago in the golden light just after dawn. I was ecstatic when I saw this frame at home on my computer monitor because all four feet of the coyote are in the air.

Any day that I see and photograph a coyote is a good day.

1. Don Ellison February 19, 2017 at 10:56 am

Great photo, the timing was spot on. I look forward to the daily fix of your photography. Your enthusiasm and passion is wonderful. BTW I see your using the D500, how do you like it vs your full frame cameras?

2. Patty Chadwick February 18, 2017 at 1:27 pm

At re-visiting this posting, can’t help but wonder if this coyote is wearing “Air Jordan”basketball shoes…??!!!

3. Pepe Forte February 18, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Great shot. Perfect timing. Love it. Thanks Mia.

4. April Olson February 18, 2017 at 10:03 am

Great shot, love the colors. We saw a couple coyote feeding on the dead shovelers last time we were there.

5. Azstu February 18, 2017 at 9:01 am

My favorite visitor too Mia.. I love Coyotes Wonderful to see, such wonderful coats and deep eyes..One moment. a frosty 6am on Christmas Day opening the blinds to see Lone (my name for him) standing there looking at me. Highlight in my time here. Great photos

6. Patty Chadwick February 18, 2017 at 8:53 am

You caught him airborn! He’s sure checking you out! We live near a golf course and used to hear them sing, but I think the “elite” that play there objected to them and did something to them…like they did with the Canada geese…I don’t was to even think about why I don’t hear them now…

7. Jerry Ellison February 18, 2017 at 8:43 am

This is one terrific shot!! The results of a little luck and a lotta skill!

8. Liz Cormack February 18, 2017 at 8:24 am

And not only are all four feet in the air (wow!) but he/she is making direct eye contact with you. Awesome.

9. Esther February 18, 2017 at 6:03 am

I too would be happy if I saw wildlife moving so gracefully across the landscape. Beautiful shot!

10. Stu February 18, 2017 at 5:35 am

Neat!
    Thanks very much for posting this, and best wishes.